Welcome to Elementary Band!
I am thrilled that you are interested in joining the band program here in Eastvale, CA!
I have the blessing of teaching all of the band students that attend the following schools: Clara Barton, Eastvale, Harada, Ronald Reagan, Rondo, Rosa Parks, and VanderMolen.
At the Elementary level, all students are introduced to the basics of music reading as well as how to play the first few notes on their instrument. All students will also gain an appreciation of music, learn determination through hours of practice, and experience what it is like to perform in a band.
(Performances have currently been placed on hold due to COVID-19, however, we were able to make several group recordings this past semester)
When Can I Join Band?
Band classes in Corona-Norco Unified are offered to 5th and 6th grade students. All band students receive one hour of instruction every week; some band classes are twice a week for 30 minutes each class and some band classes are once a week for one hour. Beginning Band is the class for students starting a new instrument for the first time. In this class, the students will play songs in unison from their method book. Advanced Band is the class for students playing the same instrument for their second year. In this class, the students will play songs in unison from their method book as well as play band arrangements (sheet music songs) in a variety of styles.
To sign up for band for the 2020/2021 school year, please click here: Enrollment
- Enrollment begins July 6, 2020
How Will Learning Take Place?
Distance learning will continue to take place, unless we are able to safely return to schools. At the end of 2019/2020, I was able to try many online resources and have discovered what will work best for the band program. We will continue to use SmartMusic - an amazing (and free) online music teaching platform. I will host more Zoom meetings, with fewer students in each group, to provide more real-time instruction. I will also have a Google classroom with video tutorials of each new concept.
To learn more, please click here: Online Instruction
What Instruments Can I Play?
Flute, Clarinet, Alto Saxophone, Trumpet, Trombone, Bells (Mallet Percussion)
Supplies Needed for Band Class
2. Method Book: Sound Innovations for Concert Band, Book 1 (for the respective instrument)
- Flute - Cleaning cloth and rod
- Clarinet - Cleaning cloth, cork grease, mouth piece brush, #2 reeds
- Saxophone - Cleaning cloth, cork grease, mouth piece brush, #2 reeds, neck strap
- Trumpet - Valve oil, tuning slide grease, valve brush, mouth piece brush
- Trombone - Slide oil or grease, small spray bottle
4. A wire foldable music stand for home practice is highly recommended
SCSBOA Elementary Honor Band 2021
- Auditions dates: TBD
- If your child is taking private lessons and/or is progressing very quickly on their instrument, I highly encourage them to audition for the Southern California Elementary Honor Band. It is a wonderful opportinity and honor to perform in this group at the SCSBOA music educator's conference January 2021
- More information can be found here: https://www.scsboa.org/welcome-scsboa-honor-groups/
- Congrats to the following students for passing the audition and participating in these previous SCSBOA Elementary Honor Bands:
- 2019-2020 - Alexandre Hartling, Irwin Jung, Erin Liao
- 2018-2019 - Lindsay Young, Thomas Zhao
- 2017-2018 - Cameron Rhees, Hideo Rhees, Karlin Rhees, Carson Rhunke