Hello and Welcome to Our Class Website
Dear Parents/Guardians and students,
Welcome back to school! I hope that everyone had a terrific summer. As the school year begins, I would like to take this opportunity to welcome all the students to Grade 3/4, Room 203 at Public School. This school year, Mr. Arvanitis will be your child’s teacher. I am looking forward to sharing in an exciting and busy year!
In order for your child to fully benefit from the educational opportunities that will be presented daily, there are a few items that we feel are essential for student success:
- Parent/Teacher communication is essential to the learning process. Please feel free to contact us regarding any matters you would like to discuss. The school phone number is (416) 395-XXX0. We can talk over the phone or in person at a scheduled time at school. You may also write a note in the Student Planner your child will be bringing home. We will be checking the Student Planner daily for any notes and we will be communicating to you any important information as well.
- Extra help for your child is always available. If extra help is desired, we can decide on a time when your child can receive additional support from us, before or after school hours.
- School hours are from 8:35 a.m. to 3:05 p.m. Punctuality and attendance are important factors in student success. Morning recess will be from 10:15 to 10:30 and afternoon recess is from 2:00 to 2:15. All students are expected to go outside for recess. Please have your child come to school dressed appropriately for outdoor playtime.
- I have asked each of the students to bring a pair of shoes that can be kept at school for indoor activities. Our classroom is carpeted and wet shoes or boots will make the floor dirty and uncomfortable for the children to sit on. Sometimes the children forget to bring a pair of shoes back and forth to school every day, so we would suggest leaving a pair of shoes at school during the winter months.
- The students should have shorts or track pants, t-shirts and running shoes for Physical Education. These classes are active periods and the students will be more comfortable in clothing that permits easy movement and prevents them from being over-heated. Our Gym periods will be on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday.
- Our class library time will be on Monday afternoons. Please remind your child to put library books in his or her bag the night before a scheduled library day, so that new items can be signed out. It is expected that all students take out at least one library book each week.
- Homework is given when school work is incomplete, to practice and reinforce skills, and/or to complete projects or reports. Homework and reminders will also be posted on the classroom website. The web address is *currently down*. Go to “Our Classrooms” on the left menu and click on “Grade 3/4 – Mr. Arvanitis”. Other information such as a class schedule, and upcoming events can also be found on the school and classroom website.
Thank you for your assistance with the above items. I am looking forward to working with you to assist your child in achieving in all aspects of his or her education!
Important Dates 2011/2012
First Day of School - September 6th, 2011
Thanksgiving Day - October 10th, 2011
Professional Activity Day - November 18th, 2011
Christmas Break - December 26th, 2011
School Resumes - January 9th, 2012
Professional Activity Day - February 17th, 2012
Family Day - February 20th, 2012
Mid Winter Break - March 12th, 2012
Good Friday - April 6th, 2012
Easter Monday - April 9th, 2012
Victoria Day - May 21st, 2012
Last Day of Class - June 28th, 2012
"What use is knowledge if there is no understanding?" (Stobaeus)