Mold removal is essential to keeping a home and the people in it safe, healthy, and comfortable. Mold, mildew, rot, and dust mites can cause serious health issues, including asthma, allergies, eye and respiratory issues, and much more. Mold can also reduce a home's property value and lead to costly structural damage. Continue reading to learn more about rot and how to control, remove, and prevent mold growth in your home. - Fire Damage Restoration Morrisville
Mold Can Be Sneaky and Prevalent
Mold affects indoor air quality, and, unfortunately, can grow very quickly. In fact, mold can begin to grow in a home with humidity over 60% in under 48 hours. Mold can even grow and thrive in cold spaces, such as a refrigerator, as long as the temperature is above 40-degrees Fahrenheit. "Hidden" rot can also secretly grow in fiberglass insulation, and behind wallpaper and drywall. Even though you may not be able to visibly see the rot, it doesn't mean that it's not there and causing damage to your home and your health.
Serious Effects of Mold Growth
The presence of mold in a home has many negative effects. People can be exposed to rot through direct skin contact, breathing, or ingestion. Mold exposure can cause a number of health-related issues, including breathing difficulties, asthma and topical skin rash. Black mold is rare but highly-toxic and contains carcinogenic mycotoxins that are linked to certain types of cancer, liver and nervous system damage, and more
Using safety precautions such as goggles, gloves and ventilation you will take your mold killer and using a stiff bristle brush scrub the mixture covering the mold and surrounding areas. Let the mixture concentrate on the area for five to ten minutes and spray off the area with a hose. If the mold is still visible you will want to repeat the mold removal process until the area is free of mold residue.
Wood is a tricky surface to clean in general let alone when dealing with mold. The best solution of mold remover to use is five tablespoons of baking soda with one gallon of warm water. Carefully soak a white cloth with the combination. You will want to remove only some of the water. Do not ring the cloth out completely, you want the mixture to penetrate the wood surface a little. Rub the wood surface until the mold and mildew is gone. If there are grooves in the surface you may want to use Q-tips to get in them. You will then want to take a clean moist cloth to wipe over the surface and a clean dry one to wipe down the air. It is best to use an oscillating fan to circulate the air to optimize drying.
This includes vinyl wall paper, linoleum and cork along with several other surfaces found in the house. You will want to mix five drops of ammonia into a bowl of warm water. Taking a clean rag with the mixture on it you will want to wipe over the surface until the mold is removed rinse with clean water and wipe dry. If the stain is stubborn you can use mildew killer with the above recipe just use extreme caution indoors.
For More Info: Water Damage Restoration Morrisville