- Do you like using all caps for emphasis? If so, you are YELLING.
- Have you ever been offended by a message you received online?
- Did you give an acquaintance a piece of your mind, online?
If so, it is quite likely that someone forgot their online manners. Internet etiquette, also known as Netiquette was not being observed.
So what is Netiquette? Netiquette establishes rules of engagement on the internet.
According to Virginia Shea, author of Netiquette, these are the core rules of Netiquette:
- Rule 1: Remember the human 35
- Rule 2: Adhere to the same standards of behavior online... 37
- Rule 3: Know where you are in cyberspace 38
- Rule 4: Respect other people's time and bandwidth 39
- Rule 5: Make yourself look good online 40
- Rule 6: Share expert knowledge 42
- Rule 7: Help keep flame wars under control 43
- Rule 8: Respect other people's privacy 44
- Rule 9: Don't abuse your power 44
- Rule 10: Be forgiving of other people's mistakes 45
Many of the following rules are similar to the basic rules listed above. However, the rules listed in the following link may be more relatable for students.
Netiquette rules apply when using social networks such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and others.
Are students being bullied? Are students bullying? This short video targets 4th through 6th graders. It provides students with options for handling bullies and tells bullies of posssible consequences.
Virginia S. (1994, May 1). Netiquette. San Rafael, CA: Albion Books. Retrieved from http://www.albion.com/netiquette/corerules.html
N.A. (2017, May 12). Netiquette: Teach Your Kids to Be Polite Online. Pumpic Mobile Monitoring. Retrieved from https://pumpic.com/security/netiquette-rules-for-kids/
LeadingInnovation. (2011, June 8). Do's and Don'ts of Social Networking. [Video File]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqezbib5qpQ
PlanetNutshell. (2014, June 12).NetSafe Episode 5: Cyberbullies are No Fun! (Grades 4-6). [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peDosNN7l3w&index=5&list=PLxfa2eNhsTfA2WpUIimMZ_p-GVqjTXXUm