Week of Aug. 16:
Literature Workbook (blue) pgs. 1-4 on story "Contents of a Dead Man's Pocket"
Grammar Workbook (red) pgs. 121-124
COMING UP TESTS:
Literature test- "Contents of a Dead Man's Pocket" (next week)
Grammar test- sentences and fragments
#1- Write a five paragraph essay about a person that you find interesting. Be sure to explain why you find this person interesting using three main elements. Check your introduction for a clear thesis and the conclusion for a restate thesis
Fall Semester 2010- This course offers learning and practice in the five major strands of Language Arts including reading, writing, listening, speaking, and research. A variety of literature from many different genres will be examined as well as the elements of language, grammar, communication, and technology.
COURSE OBJECTIVES: We will study the following units: figurative language, literary techniques, short stories, drama, grammar, the writing process, essay writing: expository, persuasive, and response to literature, the research paper, and presentation. We will prepare for the English II SATP writing test on October 14, 2010 and multiple-choice test on November 30, 2010.
First Nine- Weeks Term-
- Informative Mode Essays- Persuasive, Expository and Response to Literature
- Literature Unit- Short Story (Textbook: Prentice Hall, Literature Platinum Level)
1. Contents of the Dead Man's Pocket
2. The Monkey's Paw
3. How Much Land Does a Man Need?
4. The Good Deed
5. Leiningen Versus the Ants
6. The Widow and the Parrot
- Grammar and Writing Skills (Workbooks: Glencoe, SATP Writing/Grammar)
1. Unit 14 & Section 9/10- The Writing Process
2. Unit 2/4 & Section 5/6/8- Sentence Writing
3. Unit 7 & Section 3- Subject/verb agreement
- SATP English II Writing Test Review
1. Test Review- (Buckle Down)
2. Test Prep- (SATP workbook)*** First Nine Weeks Exam- October 7&8*** SATP Writing Test- October 14, 2010