Flanged stainless steel pipe fittings are commonly used in large diameter piping and industrial piping systems. The main advantage of this type of connection is its ease of disassembly and reassembly.
Also, it has a flat annular seal, clamped between the flanges.
The external diameter of the flanges, the drilling diameter, the number, and the diameter of the bolts are determined according to standard criterion and according to the operating pressure.
The figure for bolts is always several times of four. The clamping face of the SS 316 Pipe Fittings can be flat with single interlocking or double interlocking.
The second type offers more excellent safety, as it prevents the seal from bursting due to the pressure of the liquid when the tightening is insufficient. It also ensures the cantering of the two flanges.
The connection to the pipe can be made with different flanges, namely:
- threaded flanges;
- flange with welded collar;
- sliding weld flange;
- Stainless Steel 304 Flanges
Types of flanged connection:
It should be noted that the assembly of piping systems undergoing high pressures and high temperatures is carried out using a swivel flange with a welded collar. This method of assembly reduces the additional tensions imposed on the bolts, says Stainless Steel Flanges Manufacturer.
The tightness of carbon steel pipe fittings depends on the proper choice of the washer. This is because the type of washer you use can make a big difference. In other words, what is good for one service may often not be good for another?
There are three types of sealing washers:
- The partial washer which covers the face of the flange below the bolt holes;
- The full- size washer through which the bolts pass;
- The metal ring, oval or octagonal cut adapts to the grooves machined in the faces of the flanges.
It should be noted that the use of the latter type is limited to services undergoing high pressure and high temperature.
Types of sealing washers:
The washers are made of different materials. Thus, the washer:
- Rubber is usually used for cold and low-pressure services;
- Asbestos is used for high-pressure cold services and hot services (steam and high temperature);
- Teflon is used for almost all acidic fluids at low temperature;
- Stainless Steel 304 Pipe fittings are used for high temperatures and pressures.
A short note on flanged connections
As a result of this study, the following points should be more particularly retained:
- Flanged fittings are commonly used in large diameter pipelines and piping systems.
- The main advantage of the flanged connection is its ease of disassembly, says Carbon Steel Flanges manufacturer.
- Double interlocking flanges offer greater security because they prevent the gasket's bursting and ensure the centering of the two flanges.
- The three types of sealing washers for flanged connections are the partial washer, the solid washer, and the metal ring.
- The metal ring on the flanged connections is used in case of high temperatures and pressures.
You are now familiar with the flanged fittings that are used on large diameter piping systems. You also know that disassembly and reassembly of this type of fitting are very easy.