I believe that student’s learn best when…
· Learning is allowed to take place in a comfortable, respectful, and honest environment.
· Students are allowed to create ‘texts’ in a variety of mediums
· Students are allowed to discuss new works, ideas, and concepts with their peers in a constructive manner
· Students are held to high standard of accountability and responsibility
· Writing occurs daily, and allows for further learning, instead of simple restatement of teacher-introduced concepts and ideas
· Technology is incorporated into learning and expressing
· Students are allowed to choose what they want to read from a variety of texts and genres
· Students are allowed to choose what they want to write from a variety of suggestions and prompts
· Constant opportunities for peer and instructor feedback are provided before “final” drafts are to be submitted
· Student’s have ample opportunity and choice to share their best work with other classes, teachers, parents, peers, and the general public
· Class time is given for silent reading and/or writing
· Discussion is most often student-led
· Modeling of complicated new procedures, tasks, and ideas is done by the teacher, then guided by the teacher, then attempted individually when students have a sense of confidence
· Assessment is conducted is variety of forms, and offers students a chance to demonstrate what they have learned and are still learning, and NEVER asks for regurgitation of facts.