SCHOOL YEAR 2008-2009
Topic: CIVILIZATION and HUMANITY
Textbook: The CARIBBEAN PEOPLE (3rd edition)
Unit 1 Objectives: Students should be able to
- State the purpose of studying History
- Understand Who we are, Where we came from and Where we are going
- Identify the Sources of Historical Data (Information)
- Using a World Map Identify and Locate the four (4) main continents
- Examine and Trace the Migratory Pattern of Amerindians for Asia to South America
- Examine and Discuss where our ancestors came from
- Identify and explain the characteristics of a Community
- Identify and explain the five (5) factors required for a civilization to develop
- Explain how power influences changes in a civilization
WEEK 1- WEEK 3 (Sept. 8th - Sept. 26)
Reading Assignment: The Caribbean People Bk. 1 (pages 4 13) : While you are reading write the words that you do not know and their meanings on your book using your dictionary.
Diagram to Study: (page 8) Be able to Identify the counries that each arrow is coming from and going to.
Vocabulary Words: forefathers, ethnic, kingdom, family, migration, homosapiens, imperial, christian, civilization, melting pot, community, community, tribe, history, emigration, creed, Muslim, reluer, archaeology, people, customs, race, artifacts, mankind, leader, art, ancestor, jews, culture, power, clan, prehistoric, immigration, sect, Hindu, pigment, atheist,religion,
Home - Work:
- Complete (pages 2-10) of your Activity Book for this unit.
- Complete Crossword on Vocabulary
Reading Comprehension: "Melting Pot" Comprehension Passage (*)
You are to research the following topic and write 2 paragraphs using the questions asked below.
- What are ARTIFACTS?
- Why are Artifacts important?
Due Date: Wednesday 17th September, 2008
UNIT TEST DATE: