Welcome to the 2017-2018 school year at Dade Middle School! More specifically, welcome to my Life Science class. This year we will be learning about all things living, so I hope you're curious and ready to learn about Classification, Cells, Body Systems, Genetics, Ecology, Ecosystems & Biomes, and Changes in Living Things Over Time.
I will go ahead and tell you that I have HIGH expectations for my students. I believe that every student is capable of far more than they give themselves credit for. It's my job to help them reach their full potential.
My expectations can be easily explained with the word P.R.I.D.E.
P-Prepared: I expect students to be prepared for class each day with their Science notebook, current assignments, paper, and a pen or pencil.
R-Respectful: I expect students to show respect for themselves, their peers, and their teachers. (This also includes respect of classroom materials.)
I-Independent: I expect that students can work independently and take initiative in the classroom and with homework and project assignments.
D-Dependable: I expect students to be dependable when working in both group and individual environments.
E-Excellence: I expect students to show excellence in all that they do (in tasks both big and small).
“The great were not great because they were born that way but instead because they worked hard.”
Major Content Units and Concepts
- Diversity of Life (S7L1)-Characteristics & Needs of Living Things; Classification of Living Things; 6 Kingdoms of Life
- Cells & Cell Processes (S7L2)-Cell Structure & Function; Transport Processes (Diffusion, Osmosis, Active & Passive Transport); Photosynthesis; Cellular Respiration
- Major Body Systems (S7L2e)-Major organs and processes of the body's major systems
- Genetics (S7L3)-Basics of Heredity; Punnett Squares; Cell Reproduction
- Energy Flow (S7L4)-Transfer of Energy in Food Chains, Food Webs, & Energy Pyramids; Symbiosis; Interactions Between Organisms
- Ecosytems & Biomes (S7L4e)-Major Biomes and Ecosystems of the World (Tundra, Taiga, Temperate Deciduous Forest, Tropical Rainforest, Temperate Grasslands, Savanna, Desert, Marine, Freshwater, Wetlands, Estuaries)
- Change Over Time (S7L5)-Basic Process of How Organisms and/or Species Have Changed Over Time; Geologic Time Scale
- Characteristics of Science (S7CS)-woven into ALL units; Lab Procedures, Lab Reports, Technology Use, Scientific Tools, Data Collection & Analysis
- Pencils (wooden or mechanical; if mechanical, make sure you have lead) [PREFERRED] or Pens (no red, orange, or yellow ink)
- Paper (loose leaf-not in a spiral notebook)
- 1 Inch, 3-Ring Binder (any color; must have pockets on the inside) **This binder needs to be in class EVERYDAY!**
- Pack of 5 Dividers
Materials (Optional)-to be used individually or for the class
- Colored Pencils-We will do a variety of notes and activities that require color coding.
- Tissues (for the class to use)
- Hand Sanitizer (for the class to use)
- Paper Towels (for the class to use)
- Clorox/Lysol Wipes (for the class to use)
|Unit Tests (1 for each of our 7 units + benchmarks)||50%|
|Quizzes (every Tuesday beginning August 22)||25%|
|Classwork/Homework (will vary)||15%|
|Participation (this is where I'll grade the Notebook)||Right click tables for options.|
Any additional information that you need can be found on one of the websites below.
Dade County Schools: http://www.dadecountyschools.org/
Dade Middle School: http://dms.dadecountyschools.org/
Do You Need to COntact Me?
Phone: (706) 657-6491
Planning Periods: 2nd (8:53 am -9:46 am) & 7th (1:59 pm-3:15 pm)
I'm Looking Forward to a Great Year!