Tucker Middle School
2160 Idlewood Road
Tucker, Georgia 30084
Johnny C. Cosby
8th Grade Social Studies
Course Description- This course is designed to teach Georgia’s geography, history, government, and economics. United States history is included as appropriate to ensure students understand Georgia’s role in the history of the United States.
Textbook - If the textbook is lost, stolen, or damaged (missing the barcode), it is the student’s responsibility to pay for the book before a replacement book is issued. In the event that the lost book is found, please retain all receipts.
Outline of Course - Students will evaluate the development of early cultures in Georgia and the impact each had. The impact of events from the 18th century through the Modern Era will be examined and analyzed. Key political, social, and economic changes will be covered for each time period.
Description of Standards - Georgia Performance Standards for grade 8th grade Social Studies will be taught during this course. Please refer to the Georgia Performance Standards for detailed listings of standards. (www.georgiastandards.org)
Grading Scale Weighted averages
100-90 A Classwork 35%
80-89 B Homework 15%
71-79 C Tests 30%
70 D Quizzes 10%
69 and below F Final Exam 10%
Policies / Regulations
It is the policy of the DeKalb County School System that students will receive a denotation of “I” (Incomplete) for any missing assignments until student work is completed. Student work must be completed within the prescribed time limit set by your school. The maximum point allotment will be 80%.
- Zeros Are not Permitted Policy: (ZAPP) It is the expectation of this faculty that all assignments are completed for mastery. If an assignment is not submitted and/or does not meet standards, then the student must complete and/or re-do the assignment during one or more of the outlined Safety Nets.
- Homework- Homework is expected to be completed as assigned.
- Late work - It is the policy of the DeKalb County School System that students will receive a denotation of “I” (Incomplete) for any missing assignments until student work is completed. Student work must be completed within the prescribed time limit. The maximum point allotment will be 80%.
- Make-up work- Announced work, such as homework, quizzes and major assessments are due the day the student returns. For each day’s excused absence, students will have one day to make up missed work. If a student is absent under extenuating circumstances, special arrangements can be made to make up work. IT IS THE STUDENT’S RESPONSIBILITY TO CHECK THE CALENDAR AND/OR REQUEST MISSED WORK.
- Academic honesty- Receiving or giving information for an assignment is cheating and when caught in the act students will not receive credit nor receive the opportunity for a chance of make-up. Plagiarism is not acceptable: If a student takes information from the Internet or any printed resources without a citation, it is considered plagiarism and will result in a reduction in grade.
·Safety Net Opportunities- Any opportunity afforded to students to ensure mastery of required standards. Suggested safety nets may include but are not limited to: before and after school tutorial, Saturday School, Second Chance Café, make-up packets, special projects, teacher tutorials, technology based projects, research and other extended learning opportunities.
Supplies – Students should arrive prepared with standard notebook paper, pens, and pencils each day. Book covers are quite helpful for organization.
Expectations / Consequences / Discipline- Students must adhere to the DCSS Student Code of Conduct, as well as specific class rules.
Important dates- See county / school website.
Required Projects, reading list and other special assignments:
In 8th grade please note that Social Studies projects for the DeKalb County Social Studies Fair are optional. In addition to the textbook, many references are provided in the classroom for student use during each unit of study. Computers will be utilized on a regular basis.
Helpful websites and other resources:
http://www.georgiastandards.org/ (See GPS for Parent's section)
Relevant websites will be provided for students for each unit of study!
*The teachers reserve the right to adjust the course work and/or differentiate instruction as needed to meet the needs of students and ensure academic success.
Signature page / Parental contact information
Students and Parents/Guardians, by signing below, you are hereby considered knowledgeable of the requirements outlined in each syllabus for each academic content area for Team 8T.
Day Time Phone # (_____)_______________ Cellular Phone # (___)________________
Home Phone # (_____)__________________ Other Phone # (_____)_______________
E-Mail Address __________________________________________________________