My teaching philosophy is quite simple. All children no matter their ability deserve a happy, fun and exciting time of learning while in school. As your childs teacher I will:
- help them to succeed academically
- Treat all students with fairness
- Encourage them to become lifelong learners
- Serve as a mentor and coach
- Show them that learning can be fun and exciting
- Share my enthusiasm for learning.
What do we learn in First Grade?
In First grade we learn all sorts of fun and interesting things. Below are just some of the highlights of the content your child will be laerning in First Grade:
- Adding numbers 1 - 20
- Subtracting numbers 1 - 20
- Reading level F, G, H and I books
- Writing "How To" books
- The Life Cycle of a Caterpillar
- The Life Cycle of a Frog
- Our Neighborhood
- Fire Safety
Classroom Behaviorial Expectations
- Be Here Ontime and Be Ready to Learn
- Be Respectful to Others
- Be Caring and Kind to One Another
- Be Attentive
Rules, Consequences and Rewards
The rules of my classroom are simple:
- Listen and Follow Directions the First Time
- Keep Your Hands, Feet, and Objects to Yourself
- Raise Your Hand, Do Not Interupt
- Use Polite Caring and Kind Words
- Be Quiet When I am Teaching and Giving Directions
- Be Here and Reaty to Work
Consequences are as follows:
- 1st Offense Verbal Warning With a Timeout
- 2nd Offense Written Warning with a Timeout
- 3rd Offense Loss of Recess
- 4th Offense Loss of Recess and a Call Home to Parents
- 5th Offense Loss of Recess, Call Home to Parents and a Visit to the Principal
Rewards are as follows:
Students who have no offenses through out the day will earn a "Good Behavior" ticket. This ticket will have their name on it. The ticket will go into the Godd Behavior Raffle bucket. At the end of the month I will pick 5 names from the bucket and those students will pick a prize from my "Pirates Prize Chest". Aslo, I do award daily prizes such as stickers, pencils. erasers, sharpeners, bracelets, toy cars, and other small trinket and prizes for outstanding behavior and helping others.
Additional policies :
Students are graded on the work that they complete in the classroom. This work may be finished or unfinished. This work includes anyy and all classwork, test your knowledge quizzes, tests, quarterly assessments and homework.
On Mondays and Wednesdays Math homework will be given.
On Tuesdays and Thursdays English Language Arts will be given.
Every Monday a new 10 word spelling list will be given. On that spellling sheet there are 4 different activities for your student to complete. Spelling sheet is due every Friday.
Homework is due the next day. No Late work will be accepted unless the students was absent.
Homework is required and must be completed and turned in to recieve a grade.
Students who are absent will be given one day per day they were absent to make up all work. Example - Johnny Appleseed has been absent 3 days therefore he will be given 3 days to make up all his work.
Communication with Parents/Guradians
There will be a weekly newsletter called "The First Grade Times" the will come home every Friday with your child. This will have important information about what is currently happening and coming up in our classroom. This newsletter will contain:
- Important Dates to Remember
- Class Party Information
- Filed Trip Information
- Current Happenings
Let's make this year a year to remeber!
~ Ms. Augustaitus