1. Students will practice the metric system and submit answers to the worksheet below to teacher online (30 minutes).
Metric Mania Worksheet (submit answers only)
1. What is the basic metric unit for length? ______________
2. Circle the best unit for measuring each distance:
a. Thickness of an eyelash: mm cm m
b. Length of a pencil: cm m km
3. Use a meter stick or metric ruler to find each measurement.
a. Width of this page ____________ mm or ____________ cm
b. Length of an unsharpened pencil _____________cm
4. Convert the following measurements:
a. 34 mm = _______ cm
b. 3 km = _______ m
c. 234 cm = _______ m
d. 35 m = _______ mm
2. Introduction to Lab Safety: (30 minutes)
Student will view the lab safety procedures powerpoint online by copying and pasting the following link:
1. Read and study all procedures for the lab investigation _____.
A. Before performing the lab
B. While performing the lab
C. After performing the lab
D. Only if your lab partner does not
2. If you have allergies or other health conditions which can affect your participation in a lab, you should _____.
A. Keep quiet
B. Notify your teacher
C. Tell your lab partner
D. Hope they go away before the lab starts
3. When is it okay to eat, drink, chew gum, apply cosmetics, use lab glassware as food or drink containers, or taste substances in the lab?
D. When your class is having a party
4. You should know the location and proper use of
A. The safety shower
B. The eye wash
C. The fire blanket and fire alarm
D. All of the above
5. You should always follow use and safety procedures for lab equipment. If you are unsure, _____.
A. Ask your lab partner
B. Ask your principal
C. Ask your teacher
D. Ask your parent
6. Use safety equipment, such as goggles, _____.
A. During every lab investigation
B. Whenever you feel like it
C. Only if your partner picks them up for you
D. Only when it is sunny outside
7. When using a flame, hair spray, mousse, or other flammable hair products _____.
A. Should be left on the lab table
B. Should NOT be used in your hair
C. Should be used in your hair
D. Should be used minimally
8.To prevent accidents, long hair and loose clothing should be _____.
A. Tied back and out of the way
B. Cut off
C. Cut off
9. Sandals or open-toed shoes _____.
A. Are always fashionable during lab investigations
B. Can only be worn during lab investigations on hot days
C. Should NEVER be worn during lab investigations
D. Can be worn in the lab whenever you want
10. Loose jewelry, such as chains and long necklaces, should be _____ to prevent them from getting caught in equipment.
C. Put on
3. Introduction to the Scientific Method: