Distance learning edition
School Year: 2020-2021 Instructor: Ms. Klassen
Room: SW 205 E-mail: Michelle.Klassen@fresnounified.org
Dear Parents/Guardians and Student,
Welcome to Bullard High School, Geometry class. Our staff is dedicated to providing your child with the best educational opportunities in Fresno. Students will receive a challenging curriculum based on the California State Educational and Common Core Standards. This course also fills the A-G requirement and therefore, 10 credits of required Geometry Credit are received if passing the course with a C or better.
A = 100-90%
B = 89-80%
C = 79-70%
D = 69-60%
F = 59% and below
Classwork (during Teams meetings) 30%
*** This is the grade break down during Distance Learning ONLY***
- BIM Geometry Student Journal (pick up with your textbook at the library)
- Graph paper (or any extra scratch paper)
ADDITIONAL SUPPLIES: Scientific calculator, colored pencils/pens
- Be prepared. Read through the posted Student Journal notes the day before on Microsoft Team in files. Write the definitions to the vocabulary in your own words ahead of time.
- Take notes in your Student Journal during online instruction. This will help you actively participate in each lesson and have something to refer to for homework and tests.
- Actively participate during all of every online lesson. Attendance will be taken multiple times throughout each lesson based on participation. Be present for all, or you may be marked tardy.
- Complete all homework and show all your work on separate paper. Homework is assigned on instruction days. Homework assignments on bigideasmath.com are due on Big Ideas (submit your work!) by 8pm the next day along with a photo of your work posted in the assignment section on Microsoft Teams. Without a posted photo of your work, you will only earn 50% of your score from bigideasmath.com. Late homework is not accepted.
- If a student is absent any day, then he/she has the number of days absent to make up the missed assignment (work can only be made up if the absence is excused). The student will be responsible for getting the missed assignment; it is not the teacher’s responsibility. Remember to watch the recorded lessons from the day absent, take notes, and message me for any help.
- If the student was absent for a test, they must take the test during the scheduled time. There are no retakes for tests (unless stated in IEP or 504).
- The teacher is available each instructional day during tutorial hours on Microsoft Teams for extra help. It is the student’s responsibility to show up to these prescheduled sessions if needed.
For several activities in this class, you will be asked to work with others; in addition, you are encouraged to form study partners and groups. However, any written work that forms the basis of your final grade in the class MUST be your own original work.
Do not plagiarize (copy, submit another person’s photo…).
This includes all tests and homework. I will report any and all indications of academic dishonesty to our administration and counselors. Should you have any questions regarding what constitutes "academic dishonesty" in this course, please contact me.
Although you might be accustomed to using forms of electronic communication, such as text messaging and chat, communicating during a lesson or group activity involves a slightly different set of skills and communication referred to as “netiquette.” Netiquette covers a set of core rules for proper online behavior.
- Make sure your child attends our online lessons every day.
- If possible, check in during a lesson to make sure your child is actively engaged and not distracted.
- Keep your phone number updated with the school office; we may need to contact you.
- Use the mobile Atlas Parent Portal to keep track of your child’s overall grade in Geometry and all other class. Contact me ASAP with any questions.
- Check online at bigideasmath.com for current or overdue assignments.
- Make sure they have all supplies indicated on the list provided to you.
- Encourage your child every day as they have worked very hard. Your child has earned the right to be here through hard work and commitment to their education.
- Big Ideas Geometry – the physical purple and gold textbook
- Bigideasmath.com – Student Dynamic eBook and additional resources
- Khanacademy.org – helpful tutorial videos for any math topic or concept
- Remind – phone app or remind.com for homework and assessment reminders for this class and direct contact with the instructor for questions or homework help. To join, send a text to 81010 with your period’s message code…
- Geometry Period 1: @c2ga98
- Accelerated Geometry Period 2: @3dfa93f
- Accelerated Geometry Period 3: @4gagc29
- Geometry Period 4: @36h4be9
- Geometry Period 5: @k9e3cb
- Tutorial Times – these occur on scheduled class days for each period. Please stop in on our Teams tutorial meeting for extra help on the lesson of the day or homework.
- 1st/2nd period: 1:15 – 1:35
- 3rd/4th period: 1:35 – 1:55
- 5th/6th period: 1:55 – 2:15
If you have any questions about my rules or expectations, please do not hesitate e-mail (best way to get ahold of me).
You can also call Bullard High School at 457-4320 and leave a message. They will contact me so that I can return your call as soon as possible.