Limited Time Offer: Get 2 Months of ABCmouse.com for only $5!

Assessments

VFT RUBRIC

This is how you will be graded on this assignment. The first column contains the elements on which you will be evaluated.  The other four columns show the performance levels which merit the score shown at the top of that column.  Have fun and enjoy your journey!

Content

Distinguished

Proficient

Apprentice

Novice

Technical Proficiency

Student navigated to all stops of field trip and made all log entries within allotted time

Student navigated to all stops of field trip and made at least nineteen log entries within the allotted time

Student navigated to all stops of field trip and made at least twelve log entries within the allotted time

Student did not navigate to all stops of field trip and made fewer than twelve entries, or navigated to pages not on the VFT.

Cooperation

Student gave help to others quietly and courteously when requested and/or politely requested help when needed

x

x

Student did not help others when requested or did not ask for help when it was needed

Quality of Responses

Student answered almost all factual questions correctly and gave well-reasoned answers to open-ended questions

Student answered almost all factual questions correctly and gave adequate, understandable answers to open-ended questions

Student answered most factual questions correctly but did not respond adequately to open-ended questions

Student answered few factual questions correctly and did not respond adequately to open-ended questions

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Assessments will include:

  • BASELINE:  Think for five minutes, then, in your writing journal, answer these questions: How do I use water?  How much water do I use in a day? Where does my water come from? Where does it go after it goes down the drain? (students with writing disabilities may orally record their responses or draw diagrams) Review student journals to assess their baseline current knowledge. This will inform my tweaking the implementation of this plan.  Scanned journal pages go into digital portfolio.
  • FORMATIVE:   Assess FOSS activities with observations and questions. Jot notes on each student to enter into digital portfolio.
  • FORMATIVE:   Assess VFT logs for understanding of subject matter, connections to other areas of study and life.
  • SUMMATIVE AND FORMATIVE ASSESSMENTS
  • Mixed ability groups create a brochure (use open books, open notes). Leveled groups compare and synthesize their product to create a single brochure to take to parents and neighbors about water.  (Rubric at Appendix A)

    o   Basic – water cycle and facts about fresh water distribution.

    o   Intermediate – create flow charts of Louisville Water Company and MSD

    o   Gifted – Narrative and/or bullet points on average water usage (including virtual) and how to reduce it, as well as what we do that contaminates our water supply.

  • Water Cycle Test (Appendix C, rubric at Appendix B)


 
 APPENDIX A      Water Brochure Scoring Rubric 

Distinguished4Proficient3Apprentice2Novice1
ContentBasicAll steps of water cycle are labeled and represented correctlyAll steps of water cycle are labeled and represented correctlyMost of the steps of water cycle are labeled and represented correctlySome of the steps of water cycle are labeled and represented correctly
Content MiddleAll steps of water filtration are labeled and represented correctly in flow chartAll steps of water filtration are labeled and represented correctly in flow chartMost steps of water filtration are labeled and represented correctly in flow chartSome steps of water filtration are labeled and represented correctly in flow chart
Content HighRich, thorough and accurate summary of wide variety of water usage and contamination concernsAdequate summary of major water usage and contamination concerns Some water usage and contamination concerns with some inaccuracies or errorsFew water usage and contamination concerns with several inaccuracies or errors
SpellingNo mistakesFew mistakesSome mistakesMany mistakes
Clarity/NeatnessClear, neat and attractiveClear and neatSome messiness leading to difficulty interpretingMessy such that the work cannot be easily understood
 




  APPENDIX B Water Cycle Test Scoring Rubric

(test at Appendix C below) 

  

 Distinguished4Proficient3Apprentice2Novice1
Knowledge of LWC processesOn flow diagram, all steps of the process are correctly identifiedOn flow diagram, most steps of the process are correctly identifiedOn flow diagram, some steps of the process are correctly identifiedOn flow diagram, few steps of the process are correctly identified
Knowledge of desalination processesOn flow diagram, all steps of the process are correctly identifiedOn flow diagram, most steps of the process are correctly identifiedOn flow diagram, some steps of the process are correctly identifiedOn flow diagram, few steps of the process are correctly identified
Knowledge of properties of waterAll properties covered in class are accurately described and placedMost properties covered in class are accurately described and placedSome  properties covered in class are accurately described and placedFew properties covered in class are accurately described and placed
Knowledge of water cycle vocabularyAll terms correctly matched with definitionsMost terms correctly matched with definitionsSome terms correctly matched with definitionsFew terms correctly matched with definitions
Quality of thought in short essay responses to which previously exposed:  72% of the earth's surface is covered in water. 97% of this water is saline. The distribution of the remaining 3% (freshwater) is very uneven: 10 countries share 60% of the reserves, while 29 others (in Africa, and the Middle East) face chronic shortagesWhat problems do you see arising from these facts?  What opportunities can you imagine?Shows deep understanding of material and more than one connection with another area of knowledge.  Shows adequate understanding of material and one connection with another area of knowledge.Shows understanding of most of material.Shows little understanding of the material covered.
SpellingNo mistakesFewer than 5 mistakesBetween 5 and 10 mistakesMore than 10 mistakes
ClarityNeat and easily readableFairly neat and readableSomewhat hard to read, some interpretation neededVery difficult to read, messiness interferes with understanding the response



 Appendix C   

Vocabulary Match [Note:  These are some that I will require. The students may find additional words to know I will not give them definitions. They will look up the words and collaborate on creating a vocab list for

    Term                                                                                        Definition                                             

Salt water 
Condensation 
Transpiration 
Desalinization 
Reverse osmosis 
Distillation 
Precipitation 
Fresh water 
Evaporation 
Sedimentation 
Osmosis 
Pollution 
Atmosphere 
Brackish water 
Solar power 
Water footprint 
Steward 
Conservation  

Open Response Questions 

Try to answer all the questions, even if you aren’t sure.  You know more than you think you know! 

1.  Explain the water cycle in words, using terminology you have learned in your studies. 

2.  Explain the ways in which water is purified for drinking. 

3.  Explain the ways in which water can be contaminated or polluted.  

4.  Explain the ways in which salt water and brackish water are filtered and why. 

5.  We learned these facts:  72% of the earth's surface is covered in water. 97% of this water is saline. The distribution of the remaining 3% (freshwater) is very uneven: 10 countries share 60% of the reserves, while 29 others (in Africa, and the Middle East) face chronic shortages.    

a.   What problems do you see arising from these facts?  

b.   What opportunities can you imagine?  In other words, when you are an adult, as an ordinary citizen, what can you do to be a good water steward? What careers can you think of where your job would be to help solve problems of safe and available freshwater?  [students with disabilities may type or dictate responses]

Get 2 Months for $5!