MondayQtA Strategy combined with Summarizing paragraphs What is the Author trying to tell me? Main Idea Why did the author write this? Author’s PurposeFree Rice Competition 1st Day results1. Jimmy (4th period) 34002. Donna (1st period) 32203. Josh (6th Period) 2860 (math)4. Ambrisha (5th Period) 28205. Cody (5th Period) 24206. Princess (6th Period) 21607. Henry (3rd period) 21108. Jameel (2nd Period) 2100Please summarize each paragraph (5 total) on page 57 in 7 words or less. TuesdayPlease summarize each paragraph (10 total) on pages 60-61 in 5 words or less. Please answer the eight questions at the end of the paragraphs. 2nd Day freerice.com results (including day 1)1. Kimberly (1st) 35502. Leon (6th) 34503. Jimmy (4th) 34004. Nicole R (2nd) 33905. Leon (6th) 32906. Donna (2nd) 32207. Christina (1st) 31308. Brittany (2nd) 30209. Kevin (2nd) 301010. Ajene (1st) 2910WednesdayNumber Speeches Fluency Eye Contact Recorded ThursdaySSR (Silent Sustained Reading) for (20 minutes)Select Group Roles (7 minutes)
- Discussion Director - writes questions to guide thoughtful group discussion and keeps group on task.
- Summarizer - writes a Beginning-Middle-End summary, revises with group input and creates book final summary
- Connection Maker - writes own and group members' connections (Text-to-Text, Text-to-Self, Text-to-World)
- Word Master - searches for unusual word choice or description and defines words the group may not know
- Passage Picker - selects and rereads important passages or descriptive imagery sections to the group and discusses author's style.