Term 1, 2010:
- Notebooks should be kept up to date and all work should be completed.
- Fridge List Quizzes (Word List Quizzes) are every Friday starting September 17, 2010
- In Music, we are concentrating on the tools and techniques of musicianship in musical performances (e.g., sing with relaxed but straight posture and controlled breathing; rehearse music to perform with others) along with applying the elements of music when singing, playing, and moving (e.g., duration: while singing a familiar song, clap the rhythm while others pat the beat, and on a signal switch roles).
- In Visual Arts, we are looking at line, an element of design and how it is used in art works to communicate ideas, messages, and personal understandings (e.g., a pattern of broken, wavy, and zigzag lines to make the bark of a tree look rough in a drawing).
- In Social Studies, we will be starting a unit on Mapping. We will look at different colours on a map and learn what they represent. Then we will move onto learning about using symbols to identify things on a map such as the police and fire station. In addition new vocabulary will be learned and used to describe relative locations of places and objects such as left/right, up/down, front/back, near/far, above/below.
- In Health, we are investigating Canada’s Food Guide and determining how the information provided within can help you make healthy food choices (e.g. tells what kinds of food to eat, how much and which foods we should eat every day and the ones we should eat less often). Students will learn about recognizing cues to hunger, thirst, and the feeling of fullness, and discover how they can use these cues to develop healthy eating habits.
- In Physical Education, students will be learning to send objects of different shapes and sizes at different levels and in different ways, using different body parts (e.g., roll a ball along a line, throw a rubber chicken underhand to a chosen spot and kick a ball to a specific area, toss or drop a beanbag into a hula hoop, pass a sponge ball over their head to the next person in a short line who passes it between his or her legs to the next person).
- In Math, we will be beginning a unit on Patterning. Students will learn about geometric repeating patterns, repeating patterns (1 attribute) and the rules for repeating patterns.
- In Language, we will begin the new term by learning and practising:
1) to retell a story or restate information—oral communication strand
2) the comprehension strategy, activating prior knowledge—reading strand.
3) to generate ideas about potential topics using a variety of strategies and resources such as brainstorming—writing strand
4) to identify the purpose and intended audience of some simple media texts (e.g., this sign gives information to travellers)—media strand.