Hooray for Reading!!!
Reading is crucial for learning and keeping reading materials fresh, exciting, and relevant to the current learning focus is crucial. Here you will find a list of some of the books on our classroom shelves. I encourage you to look for these books in your local library and read them with your child on top of their nightly reading choice.
The nightly reading choice is a very important part of our class. Each day your child will select a book to take home with them from our classroom library. I ask parents to take the time to read the book with their child at night and do so with the following technique.
- Do a picture walk of the book before your read it: this means go through the book looking only at the pictures and ask them what they think is happening on each page and what might happen next. This helps creative and critical thinking
- Read the title with them asking them to give you the first letter sound of each word in it. Eventually help them to sound out the words in the titles themselves, this will come much later in the reading process so go slow, building strong foundations is the focus.
- Reading the book pointing to each word as you go. If you think there is a word they know ask them to read it for you.
- Encourage your child to ask questions about the text before/after each page
- Ask review questions throughout the book - who have we met in the book? What has happened? Is that a problem that will need to be solved? Why do you think they are doing that? How do you think that character feels? Have you ever felt that way? Has something like this happened to you?
- Deeper thinking is very important, making connections to the text and their real life is an important skill.
- Ask your child to summarize what happened in the book once you are done reading
Our Library this week includes:
- The Berenstain Bears Go to School ~ Jan and Stan Berenstain
- School Bus ~ Donald Crews
- Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten ~ Joseph Slate
- The Kissing Hand ~ Audrey Penn
- Mary Wore Her Red Dress and Henry Wore His Green Sneakers ~ Merle Peek
- My Teacher's My Friend ~ P.K. Hallinan
- The First Day of School ~ P.K. Hallinan
- Curious George Goes to School ~ Margaret and H.A. Reys
- Never Spit on Your Shoes ~ Denys Cazet
- My Teacher is a Vampire ~ Mercer Mayers
- Off to School ~ Ann Schweninger
- Pooh's First Day of School ~ Kathleen W. Zoehfeld
- A Monster Followed Me to School ~ Mercer Mayers
- A Bug, A Bear, and A Boy Go to School ~ David McPhail
- My Pet Monster Goes to School ~ Dennis Fertig
- They Gym Teacher From the Black Lagoon ~ Mike Thaler
- The Teacher From the Black Lagoon ~ Mike Thaler
- The Principal From the Black Lagoon ~ Mike Thaler
- The Librarian From the Black Lagoon ~ Mike Thaler
- The School Nurse From the Black Lagoon ~ Mike Thaler
- Little Critter's This is My School ~ Mercer Mayer
- Chrysanthemum ~ Kevin Henkes
- My Teacher Sleeps in School ~ Leatie Weiss
- This is the Way We Go to School ~ Edith Baer
- Little Kids at School ~ Jeffie Ross Gordon
- Will I Have a Friend? ~ Miriam Cohen
- Morris the Moose Goes to School ~ B. Wiseman
- llama llama misses mama ~ Anna Dewdney