Focus Point Academy Requirements:
Students referred to F.P.A. must have...
· An active (in-force) IEP
· Student’s mental health needs must prevent him/her from accessing and benefiting from the available special education services at the comprehensive campus
· Must have social-emotional/behavior goals addressing specific intensive social-emotional/behavioral needs
· Must have a functionally –based behavior support plan (BSP) implemented with fidelity prior to referral· Comprehensive school has exhausted all support resources available at the site including all social emotional support services (e.g., consultation with school psychologist; related services such as counseling, school based mental health and/or private therapy; behavioral supports and interventions).
F.P.A. Goal:Our goal is to help students gain the social and emotional skills needed to be successful in a comprehensive school.
Mission:Focus Point academy is designed to focus on developing skills in socialization and problem resolutions to achieve academic success.
Pillars of Character:
All Students are rated every half hour on the three pillars of the program plus a personal goal.
These pillars are:
What Makes FPA Unique:
* 100% specialized academic instruction; Credit Recovery
* Adult to student ratio of 4:10 (teacher & 3 paraprofessionals)
* Extensive training for all teachers and staff in Research-based Program
* Explicit expectations for academic performance & behavior: student needs are addressed in positive ways = school-wide individualized point (reward) system; Activity Room; Surprise reward fieldtrips
* Social and Emotional Skills taught in classroom
* Intensive mental health services on campus
Focus Point Academy is located at:
119 West Palm
Altadena , California 91001