Notes for The Environment.
Read: Chapters 17 and 18
- ü The Environment = everything that surrounds you Abiotic or Biotic
Biome = Largest
Organism – Smallest
- ü A biome is a large area throughout the world that have similar climate, plant and animal life.
- ü An ecosystem is a group of communities and their habitats that interact.
- ü A community is all the populations with in an ecosystem.
- ü A Population is a group of the same species that live in a particular area.
- ü Species are organisms which can successfully reproduceo Members of the same species form a population with in a habitat
- ü Habitat is the place where a population lives.
Interactions Between Organisms.
- ü Niche is the role or job an organisms plays in the ecosystem.
- ü When two or more species niches overlap there is competition for the resources between the species.
- ü Symbiosis is about organisms living in close relationship with each other. At least one organism benefits.
- ü In mutualism both species benefit.
- ü In commensalism, one species is helped; the other species is not affected. It is not helped nor harmed.
- ü In parasitism, the parasite harms its host, which it is living on or in.