Book Report and Project Information
This year you will have a book report due every month (except December and June) on the last school day of each month.
- All book reports need to be typed or written by the student, making sure that each question is answered. The questions will be given at the time of the report.
- It is very important that book reports are turned in on time. Late work is not acceptable.
The due dates, genres, and activity assignments are: (This is subject to change)
Due Date Genre Activity
Last school day of:
September Free Choice Dust Jacket
October Tall tale Project Cube or
Panel picture book
November Biography Board Game or Newspaper,
Talk-notes Biography Mobile or timeline
January Historical Fiction Prairie Shooner or
February Non-fiction Suitcase Display or Story
Container or Prairie Shooner
March Legend Sandwich book project
April Fantasy/Science Fiction Diorama or Cereal box or
May Myth/Fairy tale PowerPoint
only-No written report
Book Report Format
Every written book report will need to follow these guidelines:
1.You will need to have a title page with the title of the book,the author of the book, the publisher's name, your name and the date.
2. You will need to describe the setting in detail. Describe how the setting changes the mood of the story.This section needs to be labeled "Setting" and should be about five lines in length.
3.Who are the main characters in your story? Describe at least three people who make a difference in how the story evolves. This sections needs to be labeled "Main Characters" and should be at least six lines long.
4.What is the climax in the story? What event happened that changed the way the story ended? Sometimes there are several climaxes. Choose the one that is the most important to you. Describe what happened in detail. This section needs to be labeled "Climax" and should be approximately 6-10 lines long.
5. In every book there is a moral to the story, or a lesson that the author wants you to learn. What is the lesson in this book? Think about this.. Sometimes it is very subtle. This section needs to be labeled "Moral of the Story" and should be about five lines long
6.What did you think of this book? Did you enjoy it or not? Why? Label this section "My Opinion" and be specific in your reasons why you did or did not like the book. This should be about four lines long.
7.Write a summary of the book in order of the events. This section should be about one-half to one page in length. I will be looking for lots of details and description. It needs to be labeled "Summary."
Book Report Format-Non-Fiction
1. Title, author, publisher, number of pages
3. Summary of the book (one page handwritten, ¾ page typed)
4. Your opinion of the book
I care about you and want this to be a fun, successful and memorable school year. Please share this with your parent/guardian. I am looking forward to the amazing year ahead of us! Thank you!