The Nervous System
What is the nervous system?
- Brain, spinal cord, nerves
- Control center for your entire body
- Controls actions and reactions
What are nerves?
- Neurons (thin threads of nerve cells)
- Carry messages back and forth
- Send messages to the brain
There are 2 parts to the nervous system:
1. Central nervous system
- spinal cord
2. Peripheral nervous system
- sensory organs (eyes, ears, nerves ~ skin)
Sensory receptors ~ detect change in surroundings and sends signals along nerves to the central nervous system
Reflexes ~ automatic responses to certain stimuli