Practice and Enrichment Websites
- Oobleck Experiment:
A plastic cup
A craft stick
Measure 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and pour it in the mixing cup.
Measure 1 tablespoon of water and pour it in the cup. Stir.
Measure another tablespoon of cornstarch, add it to the cup, and stir.
Measure another tablespoon of water, add it to the cup, and stir.
Add two more tablespoons of cornstarch and stir as you add them.
Stir until you cannot see any more powder and it looks smooth.
- Testing for the State of Matter
- Try to pick it up with only two fingers.
- Pour the mixture from one hand to another.
- Poke the mixture with your finger or the craft stick.
- Roll the mixture into a ball with your hands. Then open your hand and try to hold the ball.
- Try to tear or break the mixture with your hands.
- Decide if you think it has more solid or liquid properties.