Chemistry Thanksgiving Extra Credit 2015
CLASSIFYING MATTER POSTER
Over this holiday weekend, many people across the country will be enjoying some traditional meals with friends and family. For this extra credit, you will “dissect” some things that may be around the Thanksgiving table and classify them as the forms of matter that we have discussed in class.
For each of the items on the list below, answer these two questions:
- Is it a pure substance or a mixture?
- If it is pure substance, is it an element or compound? If it is a mixture, is it a suspension, a solution or a colloid?
To present your results, you will make a POSTER. The poster must have color and pictures for each item as well as the information from the two questions above. The poster should be attractive and the answers should be accurate. Be creative!
Here is your list.
- Jellied cranberry sauce from a can
- Mashed potatoes
- Marshmallows on top of the sweet potatoes
- A silver fork
- Apple juice
- Hot chocolate
- Aluminum foil
- Grandma’s wedding ring
- YOUR CHOICE: Add something to the list that from your own tradition!
This is due Monday, November 30 at the beginning of your class hour.
There is a tab on my website with helpful information about mixtures (which should also be in your notes).