Students will follow the following topics throughout the school year:
1. Weekly vocabulary - Students will receive new vocabulary on Fridays. Vocabulary helps students in reading, writing, and understanding.
2. Grammar - Students will learn about the sentence, parts of speech, phrases, clauses, punctuation, and contractions.
3. Spelling - Students will learn about spelling patterns.
4. Writing - Students will learn about characterization, forms of writing, cliches, dialogue, figurative language, purposes for writing, audience, sentence structure, rhythm, register, tone, diction, and voice.
5. Literature - Students will be covering the following units in their literature book.
1. Finding Your Place in This World
2. The World Around Us
3. From One World to Another
4. A Sporting Life
5. Chills and Thrills
6. Taking Flight
7. Pass it On: World Mythology
8. Stories to Tell: Fiction (The Misfits)
9. Words in Motion: Poetry
10. Turning Words into Action: Drama
11. Telling it As It Is: Nonfiction
12. Reading Between the Lines: Informational and Visual Media