Text Link - digital copy of book
Audiobook link (story read aloud) - Book 1
Audiobook link - Book 2
Louie's Redemption - Billy Graham Video (26 minutes) - Unbroken Video - Louie's redemption
Unbroken Extra Credit - Create one of the following - deadline is Feb. 28, 2019
Poster - character, theme, collage, or timeline
Trading Cards - 8 characters (front side is their picture, back side will include stats/info on them)
Painting, Mural, or Drawing - on canvass or paper
Slideshow of characters, theme, book info - 8 slides minimum
Unbroken Novel Vocab - List 1
1. Zeppelin - a type of rigid airship named after the German Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin
2. Habitually - by way of habit; customarily.
3. Resilient - able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
4. Optimism- hopefulness and confidence about the future or the successful outcome of something.
5. Melee - a confused fight, skirmish, or scuffle.
6. Rehabilitation - the action of restoring someone to health or normal life through training and therapy after imprisonment, addiction, or illness.
7. Mania - mental illness marked by periods of great excitement, euphoria, delusions, and overactivity; excessive desire, excitement, or enthusiasm.
8. Obliterating - destroy utterly; wipe out.
9. Prestigious - inspiring respect and admiration; having high status.
10. Inferno - a large fire that is dangerously out of control.
Unbroken Novel Vocab - List 2
1. Ghoulish - resembling or characteristic of a ghoul.
2. Propaganda - information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view
3. Stamina - the ability to sustain prolonged physical or mental effort.
4. Embargo - an official ban on trade or other commercial activity with a particular country.
5. Matinee - a performance in a theater or a showing of a movie that takes place in the daytime.
6. POW's - Prisoners of War; a person who has been captured and imprisoned by the enemy in war.
7. Commissioned - give an order for or authorize the production of (something such as a building, piece of equipment, or work of art). Commissioned officers (like during WWII) were militatry personnel with rank, managers, officials making decisions.
8. Verge - an edge or border; approach (something) closely; be close or similar to (something).
9. Problematic - constituting or presenting a problem or difficulty.
10. Amiable - having or displaying a friendly and pleasant manner; friendly/cordial/pleasant
Unbroken Novel Vocab - List 3
1. Adversity - difficulties; misfortune.
2. Contentedly - in a way that expresses happiness or satisfaction.
3. Ebullient - cheerful and full of energy; boiling
4. Simulated - manufactured in imitation of some other material; imitating the conditions of something, especially as a training exercise.
5. Twin Rudders - A rudder is a primary control surface used to steer a ship, boat, submarine, hovercraft, aircraft, or other conveyance that moves through a fluid medium (generally air or water) (twin = two)
6. Insignia - a badge or distinguishing mark of military rank, office, or membership of an organization; an official emblem; mark or token of something
7. Ribald - vulgar or indecent in speech, language; refers to sexual matters in a rude but humorous way:
8. Recipients - a person or thing that receives or is awarded something.
9. Ferocious - savagely fierce, cruel, or violent; characterized by or involving aggression, bitterness, and determination
10. Hordes - a large group of people.
Unbroken Novel Vocab - List 4
1. Anomalous - deviating from what is standard, normal, or expected. Bizarre, peculiar, unusual
2. Attrition - the action or process of gradually reducing the strength or effectiveness of someone or something through sustained attack or pressure.
3. Tempest(s) - violent, windy storm; tumultous; uproar
4. Paralyzed - partly or wholly incapable of movement.
5. Detouring - take a long or roundabout route; avoid or bypass
6. Inadvertently - without intention; accidentally. By accident; unwittingly
7. Infractions - a violation or infringement of a law or agreement. Breach; transgression; Breaking of a law, rule, or agreement
8. Walloped - strike or hit (someone or something) very hard. Crack, pummel, punch
9. Eccentric - (of a person or their behavior) unconventional and slightly strange. Odd, different, free spirit
10. Relinquished - voluntarily cease to keep or claim; give up. Part ways with
Unbroken Novel Vocab - List 5
1. Excruiating - intensely painful.
2. Shrapnel - fragments of a bomb, shell, or other object thrown out by an explosion.
3. Livid- furiously angry.
4. Tussle - a vigorous struggle or scuffle, typically in order to obtain or achieve something. Fight; rough and tumble
5. Stampede - a sudden panicked rush of a number of horses, cattle, or other animals. Rush, flee, charge
6. Forlorn - pitifully sad and abandoned or lonely. Hopeless; no chance of success
7. Morgue - a place where bodies are kept, especially to be identified or claimed.
8. Morphine - medicine for pain
9. Foxhole - a hole in the ground used by troops as a shelter against enemy fire or as a firing point.
10. Turret -
a small tower on top of a larger tower or at the corner of a building or wall, typically of a castle.
a mollusk with a long, slender, pointed spiral shell, typically brightly colored and living in tropical seas.
Unbroken Novel Vocab - List 6
1. Despised - utter hatred for something or someone
2. Provisions (box) - the box containing supplies provided by the military.
3. Gyrating - move or cause to move in a circle or spiral, especially quickly. Spin; Twirl; Swivel
4. Disintegrated - break up into small parts, typically as the result of impact or decay.
5. Stupor - a state of near-unconsciousness or insensibility.
6. Perforate - pierce and make a hole or holes in. Puncture; prick
7. Resistant - offering resistance to something or someone. Fighting or pushing back
8. Reveler - a person who is enjoying themselves in a lively and noisy way.
9. Obituary - announcement of one's death;
10. Fierce Conviction - strong persuasion or belief
Unbroken Novel Vocab - List 7
3. Charred (smell)
10. Prognostication - the act of telling future events
Unbroken Novel Vocab - List 8