During formal writing time, I read authentic literature to model an author's purpose for writing and writing style. In addition, I model good writing skills in order to show your children my thought process and the conventions of writing. Below is a list of skills that we work on all year.
- how to write to communicate ideas
- how to label a picture
- how to include details in picture
- how to write a complete sentence
- how to address an audience by participating in daily writing activities
- how to use the steps of the writing process (brainstorm writing ideas, write first draft, read to a peer, revise first draft, edit first draft, write final draft)
- how to write responses to text
- how to write notes and letters
So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.
- Dr. Seuss