Rocket ExperimentPROJECT: Your group will conduct an experiment to discover which of 2 rockets will stay in the air for a longer time and bring a raw egg passenger into the air and back safely. QUESTION: Which will stay in the air longer & bring the egg safely back to Earth, a rocket with _________________________________________________________________or a rocket with ____________________________________________________________________________? An experiment is a FAIR COMPARISON of one change. In your group decide which of these you will Investigate. This will be your independent variable.
1. The number of fins on each rocket 5. The height of each rocket
2. The shape of the fins on each rocket 6. The kind of protection for the egg in each rocket
3. The volume of water in each rocket 7. Use of a parachute or not
4. The shape of the nose cone in each rocket 8. Another variable you think of
3. http://exploration.grc.nasa.gov/education/rocket/BottleRocket/about.htm (see comparison and parts)
3. http://www.lnhs.org/hayhurst/rockets/ how to cut fins and parachute
4. http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/bottlerocket/ (simulation)Launch Results
|Time in the air||Condition of Passenger|
SCORING OF PROJECTAttendance: _______/15 5 points per day of the experimentWorksheet:Page 1 _______/10 Question written and at least 5 facts about bottle rocketsPage 2 _______/30 Hypothesis, Variables, Materials and Procedure completePage 3 _______/30 All data entered before launch Page 4 _______/30 Results, Analysis and Conclusion completeTOTAL _______/115Report:Write a report on this experiment in the computer room. The points and expectations will depend on how much time we have.