See what's happening in our classrooms and clubs! This is a space for pictures, updates and celebrations of all that is wonderful and exiciting about AP Environmental Science, Marine Science, Anatomy & Physiology, Gardening Club and Science Olympiad.
For assignment posts and updates about coursework, please check out our
Student Pathways portal and Google Classroom!
“You are capable of more than you know. Choose a goal that seems right
for you and strive to be the best, however hard the path. Aim high. Behave
honorably. Prepare to be alone at times, and to endure failure. Persist! The
world needs all you can give.”
― Edward O. Wilson
Congratulations to all of our seniors on their many illustrious college acceptances! We have students attending...
- American University, Washington, D.C.
- Bard College, Annandale-On-Hudson, NY
- Bradley University, Peoria, IL
- Brown University, Providence, RI
- California Lutheran University, Thousand Oaks, CA
- UCLA, Los Angeles, CA
- UC-Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA (3)
- Columbia University, New York, NY
- University of Denver, Denver, CO
- DePaul University, Chicago, IL (2)
- Dickinson College, Carlisle, PA
- Eckerd College, St. Petersburg FL
- FIDM, Los Angeles, CA
- Goucher College, Baltimore, MD (2)
- Hampshire College, Amherst, MA
- Howard University, Washington, DC
- Laguna College of Art and Design, Laguna Beach, CA
- Loyola University New Orleans, New Orleans, LA (3)
- Marymount Manhattan College, New York, NY
- Mount St. Mary's University, Los Angeles, CA
- Oberlin College, Oberlin, OH
- Occidental College, Los Angeles, CA (2)
- Otis College of Art and Design, Los Angeles, CA
- Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA
- University of Redlands, Redlands, CA (2)
- San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA (2)
- University of San Francisco, San Francisco CA (3)
- Sarah Lawrence College, Bronxville, NY (2)
- Savannah College of Art and Design, Atlanta, GA
- School of Visual Arts, New York, NY
- Skidmore College, Saratoga Springs, NY
- Trinity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
- Wellesley College, Wellesley, MA
- Willamette University, Salem, OR
A HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to Lorenzo Sampson for being selected for the Rabi Fellowship at Columbia University! He will be attending Columbia with funding from the school to carry on his scientific research. We are so proud of you Lorenzo! Lorenzo used his research project on Soil Microorganisms from our APES class to submit for consideration for the fellowship, and he was one of ten selected out of 500 :)
Gardening Club: Our summer garden is ready to be planted! President of Gardening Club, Yohji Murillo, is wanting all hands on deck for garden beautification and planting ASAP!
We've got cucumbers, melons and tomatoes that need to go in the ground this week!
Public Service Announcements (PSA's) in AP Environmental Science and Marine Science
Right now in APES and Marine Science students are working on Public Service announcements about salient environmental topics such as Coral Reef Destruction, Access to Education, Sex Education, Immigration, etc! These PSAs are taking the form of Murals, Videos and Infographic Posters. Stay tuned for the finished products!
THROWBACK THURSDAY! This time last year we were in the chilly waters of Santa Catalina Island, snorkeling, hiking and gathering data for our research projects in Ecology and Environmental Science!
Nature Journaling in Catalina...
We've set up an Aquaponics System outside in the patio of room 107! Come see how this cyclical system supports fish and organic produce simultaneously!
Properties of Soil Labs in APES. Students designed and carried out their own independent inquiry labs on a property of soil of their choice! Topics included Soil Microorganisms, Soil Acidification, Soil Composition and Growth Rates in Plants, pH of Soil, etc!
Mrs. Lewis is Back from Maternity Leave!
Lets's hit the ground running and catch up with projects, labs and enjoying each others' company in the last couple months of the year! And for cuteness factor, here's a picture of Mrs. L's daughter Porter Rose, you can call her "Poe."
Bone Modeling Projects in Anatomy and Physiology
Tsunami Project- designing Tsunami Resistant Structures and testing them in our wave tank!
Marine Science students experiment
with Seaweed products, and try some