Roll Of Thunder, Hear My Cry
Jim Crow Laws
Go to www.americanradioworks.org/features/remembering/laws.html to answer the question below.
Define Jim Crow laws. Give some examples.
Go to www.pbs.org/wnet/jimcrow/jimcrowguide.pdf to answer the questions below.
- In "Program One: Promises Betrayed", read the account of Ned Cobb. What does this story tell you about social power in the Jim Crow era? How has it changed from then to now?
- In "Program One: Promises Betrayed", read the account of Addie and Jerry Holtzclaw. What does this story tell you about the importance of education to the black people of the Jim Crow era? Why do you think they felt this way?
- In "Program Two: Fighting Back", describe how the business worlds of blacks and whites were structured. List what you see as the advantages and disadvantages of the structure.
- In "Program Three: Don't Shout Too Soon", read the account of the "Scottsboro boys." How would the story likely end today?
- In "Program Four: Terror and Triumph", read the account of Maceo Snipes. What does this story tell you about the dangers and the importance of voting to the black community?