Detroit Public Library
Writing, Poetry, Spoken Word Resources
Sample College Application Essays
Listening to a Story
Occupational Outlook Handbook
Tips for College Application Essays
Amanda Gorman - Earthrise
Reparations - Ta-Nehisi Coats
Detroit Public Library
National Memorial for Peace and Justice
Greta Tunberg - Stealing Our Future
Pelourinho (pillory, whipping post), Salvador, Bahia (bay), Brazil
Brazil – Part I
- When did Brazil separate from Africa? Explain plate tectonics.
- Portion of slaves to Brazil compared to North America. Average life span of a slave to Brazil.
- When did slavery end in Brazil? Compare with other countries.
- Percentage of Brazil’s population that has African heritage?
- Population of Brazil?
- Which Brazilian state is most heavily influenced by African culture?
- What is a quilombo? (Define "Palmares")
“We are not prepared to die.” Those are the words that Mohamed Nasheed, the former president of the low-lying island country of Maldives, delivered at the U.N. climate summit in Katowice, Poland, this week. In an impassioned plea for nations to overcome their differences, he urged world leaders to take decisive action to tackle climate change.
Greta Thunberg, 15, Addressing UN, Calls for Global School Strike
Delegates from nearly 200 countries have agreed to a United Nations deal on climate change that seeks to keep global temperatures from rising by more than 1.5 degrees Celsius—or 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit.
Clean Energy: hydro, wind, geothermal, solar
Leonardo DiCaprio - UN Ambassador of Peace
- What did Mohamed Nasheed, as president of the Maldives, do to call attention to climate change? Why did he do this?
- Describe the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.
- What can you do to prevent plastic from entering our ecosystem?
- In which country did the UN Climate Summit recently take place?
- Name three fossil fuels.
- Which is used for transportation?
- Which is used for generating electricity?
- Name one type of coal mining.
- Name one method of extracting natural gas.
- Name one type of oil drilling.
- Name the most expensive and destructive method of producing oil.
- Name one site in the US where we find rising sea levels.
- T/F: Some big businesses and their media outlets deny the existence of climate change.
- Name two large Asian countries that have a significant carbon footprint.
- How many people rely on fishing to survive?
- What gas do rain forests absorb that helps stabilize the earth’s atmosphere?
- Name one dietary change you can make today to help reduce the carbon in our atmosphere.
- Name three types of “clean” energy.
- Name one form of “clean” transportation.
- What will you do with your empty plastic bottle?
USDA Forest Service~ Detroit Urban Connections
Detroit, MI 48238
Phone: 313.494.4735 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org