Course Length: 3 Weeks
Total Hours: 94 Hours
The Phlebotomy Technician Program is designed to teach students the technical knowledge and procedures of basic phlebotomy. This includes the process of blood specimen collection and the performance of venipuncture. The program includes in-class lecture and hands-on instruction. The student will learn the introduction concepts of Phlebotomy, infection control, anatomy and physiology, procedures, medical terminology, healthcare legal issues, and equipment/ supplies. This program will prepare each student who is interested in starting a career as a phlebotomy technician, in the medical field. This intense and comprehensive course is a total of 100 clocked hours with an additional internship, which requires 40 venipuncture and 20 capillary sticks.
- Introduction to Health Science
- Medical Terminology
- Describe the role for Phlebotomy Technicians.
- Describe the function of the human body.
- Define the proper medical terminology used while practicing phlebotomy.
- Discuss and demonstrate the different techniques used in performing phlebotomy.
- Demonstrate and explain how to break the chain of infection.
- Demonstrate how to use Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for the safety of the phlebotomist and patient.
- Discuss and identify the rights of the patient.
- Discuss patient consent.
- Describe different forms of negligence.
|1||Intro to Phlebotomy||16|
|2||Anatomy and Physiology||16 hours|
|3||Basic Phlebotomy Procedures||32 hours|
|4||Infection Control||16 hours|
|5||Equipment and Supplies||10 hours|
|6||Healthcare legal issues||4 hours|
The course consists of face-to-face classroom lecture and laboratory competency skills.
- Computer access
- Subscription to online phlebotomy modules
- The student will be evaluated through quizzes and exams. Each student will need to pass each exam with 80% or better, in order to move on to the next module and participate in labsessions.
- Each student will be required to be signed off on laboratory procedures, to show competency.
A. Class Theory
|Module 1||10||Module 1||20|
|Module 2||10||Module 2||20|
|Module 3||10||Module 3||20|
|Module 4||10||Module 4||20|
|Module 5||10||Module 5||20|
|Module 6||10||Module 6||20|
|60 Total||120 Total|
|Total Possible||180 points|
B. Laboratory Competency
RD = Return Demonstration
|1||PPE Equipment (Proper use and application)||RD|
|2||Infection Control (Patient Prep, sterilization, hand washing)||RD|
|3||Venipuncture technique (Straight needle draw; vacutainer w/syringe)||RD|
|4||Speciman Collection||RD & Verbal|