I graduated from the University of California, Berkeley with a BA in English. After graduating, I was a technical writer for a disability law firm. I became interested in teaching when I started volunteer as a homework tutor at an after-school program that encouraged literacy skills. I realized that I wanted to be a teacher after being inspired by students' motivation to learn and their need to improve their reading and writing skills. I went back to school in order to receive my single-subject credential in English Language Arts.
During my spare time I love to read science fiction and poetry. I live with my sister, who is also a teacher and during the weekends we hike the trails of Sonoma Regional Parks. We also play tennis, which we have been practicing since high school. I love theater and whenever I can I make it to a play on campus or at the Berkeley Repertory Theatre. During summer break, I love to travel to different states. Over the last two years, my sister and I have traveled to north and south western states and visited their state and regional parks. This summer we will be traveling to Idaho, Wyoming and Montana!
Some of My Favorite Books
I have read these books multiple times!
- Borderlands by Gloria Anzaldua
- The Fire Next Time and Notes of a Native Son by James Baldwin
- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
- The Call of the Wild by Jack London
- On The Nature of Things by Lucretius
- Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
- Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman
- Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau
- "Nature" and "Self-Reliance" by Ralph Waldo Emerson