- Franklin was appointed by the Second Continential Congress to the "Committee of Five." With this committee, he wrote and signed the Declaration of Independence.
- He created peace with Great Britain after the war by signing the Treaty of Versailles.
- He held many offices including, but not limited to, the following:
- Clerk of the Pennsylvania Colonial Assembly
- Justice of the Peace for Philadelphia
- United States Minister to France
- 1st United States Postmaster General
- 6th President of the Supreme Executive Council of Pennsylvania
- Governor of Pennsylvania