Reading & Writing
This lesson was developed and taught in Teaching Reading and Language Arts.
Earth Day: Thematic Unit
Topic: Earth Day, how to preserve earth.
Goal: Students will understand how to preserve the earth by reducing, recycling and reusing.
1. Have the students break up into their designated groups and come up with three ways to save the earth. Let their imagination run untamed. After the students have three, have one student present all their ways to save the earth on the board.
2. Read to the class, “The Grass Patch Project” by Marilyn Courtot. Before reading, ask the class “What does the cover of the book portray?”
What we know:
1. People live on earth
2. Earth has water and dirt
3. Earth has animals and mammals
4. The ozone layer
What we want to learn:
1. How to protect earth
2. How to save earth
3. How to reduce, recycle, reuse
How can we find out;
1. Read books and do a project
a. The Forever Forest: The Children's Eternal Rainforest Kristin Joy Pratt-Serafini, with Rachel Crandell. Illustrated by Kristin Joy Pratt-Serafini
b. Generation Green; The Ultimate Teen Guide to Living an Eco-friendly Life
c. It's Earth Day! Mercer Mayer
1. Make a diorama of Earth or something that pertains to earth
2. Book report
3. A “How to Book”
4. Grow a green patch of grass
5. Write a report about Earth or the Ozone Layer
6. Invent your own