III. Mendelian Genetics
A. How Genetics Began
B. The Inheritance of Traits
1. F1 and F2 generations
2. Genes in pairs
4. Genotype and phenotype
5. Mendel’s law of segregation
6. Monohybrid cross
7. Dihybrid cross
8. Law of independent assortment
C. Punnett Squares
1. Punnet Square-monohybrid cross
2. Punnet square-dihybrid cross
2. Smart Board
4. Index cards for students to use to make vocabulary cards. The following words will be written on one side of the card and
the definition for that word written on the back: dihybrid cross, monohybrid cross, phenotype, genotype, homozygous,
heterozygous, dominant trait, recessive trait, incomplete dominance, codominance, allele, Punnett square.
Genetics Vocabulary Project
Create a Criss-Cross puzzles online with Discovery School's "Puzzlemaker" using the genetic terms
listed: dihybrid cross, monohybrid cross, phenotype, genotype, homozygous, heterozygous, dominant
trait, recessive trait, incomplete dominance, codominance, allele, Punnett square.
Genetics Review1. The observable expression of an allele is called a ___________.
a. Recessive gene
c. Monohybrid crossd. Phenotype
2. Which statement pertains to Mendel’s law of segregation?
a. Homozygous organisms are called hybrids
b. Two alleles for each trait separate during meiosis
c. allele pairs are called a genotype
d. dominant traits are visible
3. What technique did Mendel use to better understand inherited traits?
a. removed dominant alleles b. cross pollinated same sex plants
c. allowed plants to self fertilize d. cross pollinated males and females
4. Which of these pertains to Mendel’s law of independent assortment?
a. observable characteristics of a trait b. separation of alleles during meiosis
c. random distribution of alleles d. protein production
Sometimes students get a clearer understanding by reading different sources for information. They may try this link to learn more about
Other Useful Information
Students will visit this website http://intro.bio.umb.edu/VGL/, the virtual genetics lab and follow the simulations provided to gain an
understanding of genetics research. Students will cross hypothetical creatures and examine progeny to determine the mechanism of
inheritance of a particular trait.