- The world has ended as we know it. If there are no fish or birds or plants to eat, how long can humans exist?
- Could they come up with a new way to live without resorting to cannibalism?
- Is cannibalism to be expected?
- Is cannibalism acceptable in disasters? What real-life cannibalistic events have occurred in the past?
- At what point does man lose his soul?
- Does life ever lose its value?
- Why did the author decide to write a novel without giving characters a name? What could it represent? Consider: new world/new rules, dead world/dead rules, to represent everyman, to represent the need for the characters to go underground/undercover.
- Why do you think the author left out quotation marks and apostrophes in his dialogue? Consider how the writing matched the bare bones of their existence.