Tucker Middle School
2160 Idlewood Road
Tucker, Georgia 30084
Teacher: Mr. Alex R. Springs
Grade 8th- Team 8TIGER
Course Description / Course Code
This course is designed to teach the Georgia state standards for Georgia Studies in the 8th grade year. Four content domains will be explored. They are: geography of Georgia, history of Georgia, economic aspects during each time period, and government type/design per time period.
Textbook / Publisher/ Cost –Georgia in the American Experience, McDougal Littell
If the textbook is lost, stolen, or damaged (missing the barcode), it is the student’s responsibility to pay for the book before a replacement book is issued. In the event that the lost book is found, please retain all receipts.
Outline of Course: Please refer to the attached DeKalb County pacing guide.
Description of Standards:
Georgia Performance Standards for grade 8 Social Studies will be taught during this course. Please refer to the Georgia Performance Standards for detailed listings of standards. (www.georgiastandards.org)
Performance (Classwork, Homework, Quizzes) 60%
Assessment (Tests, Projects, Portfolios) 30%
Final Exam 10%
Policies / Regulations:
It is the policy of the DeKalb County School System that students will receive a denotation of “I” (Incomplete) for any missing assignments until student work is completed. Student work must be completed within the prescribed time limit set by your school. The maximum point allotment will be 80%.
- Zeros Are not Permitted Policy: (ZAPP)- It is the expectation of this faculty that all assignments are completed for mastery. If an assignment is not submitted and/or does not meet standards, then the student must complete and/or re-do the assignment during one or more of the outlined Safety Nets.
- Homework: Homework is expected to be completed as assigned.
- Late work: It is the policy of the DeKalb County School System that students will receive a denotation of “I” (Incomplete) for any missing assignments until student work is completed. Student work must be completed within the prescribed time limit. The maximum point allotment will be 80%.
- Make-up work: Announced work, such as homework, quizzes and major assessments are due the day the student returns. For each day’s excused absence, students will have one day to make up missed work. If a student is absent under extenuating circumstances, special arrangements can be made to make up work. IT IS THE STUDENT’S RESPONSIBILITY TO CHECK THE CALENDAR AND/OR REQUEST MISSED WORK.
- Academic honesty: Receiving or giving information for an assignment is cheating and when caught in the act students will not receive credit nor receive the opportunity for a chance of make-up. Plagiarism is not acceptable: If a student takes information from the Internet or any printed resources without a citation, it is considered plagiarism and will result in a reduction in grade.
·Safety Net Opportunities: Any opportunity afforded to students to ensure mastery of required standards. Suggested safety nets may include but are not limited to: before and after school tutorial, Saturday School, Second Chance Café, make-up packets, special projects, teacher tutorials, technology based projects, research and other extended learning opportunities.
One inch white binder, paper, blue or black ink pens, pencils, dividers.
Expectations / Consequences / Discipline: Students must adhere to the DCSS Student Code of Conduct, as well as specific class rules.
Important dates- See county / school website.
Required Projects, reading list and other special assignments: Students will read one additional book this semester to satisfy the 25 book campaign. Books will be provided in class. One project will be completed at the end of the semester. Project details will be provided in early November.
Helpful websites and other resources
http://www.georgiastandards.org/ (See GPS for Parent's section)
*The teacher reserves the right to adjust the course work and/or differentiate instruction as needed to meet the needs of students and ensure academic success.
Georgia Studies syllabus Fall 2010 Team 8 tigers – Mr. Springs
Please return this page only as soon as possible!
Signature page / Parental contact information
Students and Parents/Guardians, by signing this syllabus, you are hereby considered knowledgeable of the requirements outlined in the (Subject / Semester) syllabus.
Day Time Phone # (_____)_______________ Cellular Phone # (___)________________
Home Phone # (_____)__________________ Other Phone # (_____)_______________
E-Mail Address __________________________________________________________