It is helpful to try and use our new vocabulary words throughout every day life. One way to do this is to choose a Word of the Day. Make a goal with your child of how many times a day he or she can use the word, or how many times he or she can see the word throughout the day.
Use these question stems to reinforce vocabulary as your child reads with you.
- Find the word that names a ____________.
- Find the word that means _____________.
- Think about the word _________. Tell me another word that is a synonym (about the same meaning).
- Think about the word _________. Tell me another word that is an antonym (opposite).
- Is this word a multiple meaning word? Think of another meaning for the word _____________.
- Think about the word ______. Is there a prefix /suffix? What is the base word?