Research, Credibility, and Formal Writing
For this assignment, you are to write a formal body paragraph in which you explain some aspect of Poe's life. You will use your research from the Webquest to inform and develop your topic sentence with major and minor details. Further details about this assignment can be found in the Assessment Paragraph #2 and #3 on Brightspace.
1. Start here: Investigating Poe's Death
2. Click on each picture below to be taken to a website that will contain the answer to your question. You must use these exact sources in order to get the correct answers.
3. Then, answer the questions here: Poe Webquest Answer Sheet
1. When was Edgar Allan Poe born?
2. When did Edgar Allan Poe die?
3. What was the name of Poe's mother? (First, Middle, Maiden, and Last name)
4. What was the name of Poe's father?
5. In what two cities did Poe attend schools as a child?
6. What was the name of the couple that adopted little Edgar?
7. Where did his adoptive parents live?
8. What was another name for "consumption?" This disease was the cause of death of both Poe's mother and his wife.
9. What was the name of Poe's sister?
10. List 5 of Poe's poems.
11. List 5 of Poe's tales.
12. When was "The Raven" published?
13. When was "The Cask of Amontillado" published?
14. In what branch of the military did Poe enlist?
15. What name did Poe enlist under?
16. What was the name of Poe's wife?
17. What relation was Poe's wife to him, and how old is she?
18. List five things Poe's death has been attributed to.
19. WHEN and To WHAT hospital was Poe taken when he became so ill?
20. In 1849, what was Poe's "stated" cause of death?
21. Supposedly, what were Poe's last words?
22. What was Poe's nickname as an reviewer?
23. How much money did Poe receive for his first book of short stories Tales of the Grotesque and the Arabesque?
24. How was the grave of Edgar Allan Poe marked?
25. Who has visited Poe's grave every year since 1949? What does this man leave?