Science Chapter 7 Review
- A cryosphere is the part of the earth that consists of water in the form of ice.
The main layers of our atmosphere from Earth to Space are:
- The layers of the atmosphere are classified according to changes in temperature
- Ultraviolet rays are wavelengths that are a little bit shorter than visible light.
- A drought is a long period of time less rainfall than normal
- The process by which gases hold heat in the atmosphere is the greenhouse effect.
Greenhouse gases are:
- Water vapor
- Carbon dioxide
- A hurricane warning means that hurricane conditions are expected within the next 24 hours.\
- Tornadoes are more likely to form in Florida between February through April because the jet stream moves south into Florida.
- Climates are classified according to two major factors: precipitation and temperature.
- The most abundant gas in the atmosphere is nitrogen.
- Over the past 200 years, the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has increased steadily.
- One group of gases responsible for destroying the ozone layer is CFC’s.
- Water heats more slowly than land because more energy is required to heat water than is needed to heat land.
- All coastal areas of Florida are at risk of damage from hurricane winds.
The energy that drives the Earth system has two main sources:
- Heat from the sun
- Heat flowing out of Earth as it cools
- Earth’s surface radiates some of the energy back into the atmosphere as infrared radiation when it’s heated.
Gases in the Earth’s Atmosphere:
- 78% of the gas in the atmosphere is nitrogen
- 21% of the gas in the atmosphere is oxygen
- 1% is the smallest amount made up of trace gases because only small amounts are present in the Earth’s atmosphere.