An alternative to paints, wallpapers, and other plasters, paneling is more trendy than ever. In addition to being decorative and adapting to all styles, paneling has many advantages. What are they? How to choose the right paneling? What budget to plan? We bring you all the answers and advice from our experts.
Why choose paneling for your interior? What are the advantages?
Long associated with the mountain chalet, paneling is making a comeback today to dress the walls of all homes, all styles combined. Whether natural or synthetic, paneling has more than one asset up to its sleeve, and you, too, might fall under its spell.
Here are some of the reasons that could capsize you:
- The paneling improves the thermal insulation of your walls: installed as a double wall, the paneling (mainly when it is made of wood) helps to insulate your house thermally and acoustically.
- The paneling makes it possible to conceal a damaged wall: no need to have a smooth and healthy surface to install the paneling. This coating has the advantage of being able to hide a damaged surface without undertaking major work.
- The paneling participates in your interior decoration: in all the houses, the paneling always has its small effect. It is, therefore, a natural decorative element that you can customize as you wish (colors, materials, species, the possibilities are numerous!).
- The paneling can be adapted to all environments: you can install the paneling wherever you want in any room, both on the walls and the ceilings. However, if you choose it for a water feature such as the kitchen or bathroom, a few precautions should be taken. Thus, for wooden paneling, it is imperative to bet on a rot-proof species such as teak, ipe, iroko, or even chestnut, to name a few. There is also a standard (standard NF EN 335-1) that establishes a classification of wood according to their resistance to humidity. For example, in a bathroom, it will be necessary to opt for wood of class 4 minimum (these are wood either treated or naturally rot-resistant). For a shower or bath screen,
On the other hand, PVC paneling will adapt to a damp room without any problem, and no specific recommendations are made. Lightweight and easy to maintain, PVC slats are rot-proof and water-repellent.
How to choose the right paneling?
For a lasting, qualitative result that meets your needs, it is important to think carefully about your paneling choice. While wood planks are the most traditional and well-known, there are other types of paneling that could meet your needs. So what kind of paneling to choose? And for which dimensions to choose? Decryption.
The different types of paneling
Zoom on the wooden paneling
Wood paneling is the traditional model and certainly the most popular on the market. Aesthetic gives a lot of charm to an interior and has the advantage of being an excellent thermal and acoustic insulator. This type of paneling also adapts to your tastes and decoration and exists in many local or exotic wood species. In addition, it will accept all kinds of finishes, whether varnish, stains, or paint. You can also choose wood with or without knot (s). The wood paneling will be able to adapt to all the rooms of your home on the sole condition of choosing the suitable species or applying the necessary treatments as needed.
Zoom on the PVC paneling
Very robust, PVC paneling is ideal for damp rooms such as bathrooms and kitchens. Fearing neither mold nor splashing water, it is undoubtedly the most versatile paneling. Also, you can easily clean it with a simple swipe of the sponge. Also, note that the PVC paneling can be very decorative. It is offered in different patterns and colors and even imitates wood, tiles, natural stone, or even metal!
Zoom on the coated paneling
Less known, the coated paneling is not made of solid wood but a mixture of wood fibers and synthetic binder covered with melamine paper. Less expensive than wood paneling, the coated can, however, perfectly imitate all kinds of species! For a different effect, it will also mimic natural stone or slate. In addition, thanks to its surface coating, the coated paneling will not require any protective treatment. Be aware, however, that it is pretty sensitive to the humid environment and that it will tend to swell. Therefore, it will be avoided to put it in a bathroom or a kitchen.
The different dimensions of paneling
Concerning the material you choose for your paneling, the dimensions will not be the same. However, here are some codes to give you an overview:
- The standard dimensions will be 2 meters for the length and a wall installation for wooden paneling, and up to 4 meters for a ceiling installation. The widths can range from 5 to 37.5 centimeters, and the thickness will generally be between 5 and 19 millimeters.
- For PVC paneling, the length of the slats will vary from 1.20 to 2.60 meters; the width will be between 15 and 37.5 centimeters, and finally, the thickness will generally be 8 millimeters.
- For a coated paneling, the length of the standard boards will most often be 2.6 meters; the width will generally be between 15 and 19 centimeters, and just like the PVC paneling, the thickness will be 8 millimeters.
Union Complex provides the best Apartments in Lahore.