All students receive instruction in music from kindergarten through grade 7. Band, choir, and handbells ensembles are offered as electives in the upper grades; see the link for "School Music Ensembles" at the top of this page.
The music curriculum follows the national music standards developed by the Music Educators National Conference (MENC):
- Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
- Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
- Improvising melodies, variations, and accompaniments.
- Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines.
- Reading and notating music.
- Listening to, analyzing, and describing music.
- Evaluating music and music performances.
- Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts.
- Understanding music in relation to history and culture.
In addition to the MENC standards, St. John Music includes this "Lutheran Addendum".
- Recognizing voices and music are gifts of God.
- Singing from memory a repertoire of sacred songs.
- Joining in congregational singing.