Tennessee History Project
Due date: Friday, December 12, 2008
Our project for the 2nd 9-week grading period is a Tennessee History Project. This project requires the completion of 5 assignments. There are 3 required assignments and 2 additional assignments, which students will choose from a list. The required assignments are numbered #1, #2, and #3. Students will also choose 2 additional assignments from numbers #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, and #9. The assignments are equally weighted at 20 points each.
The Tennessee History Project is due on Friday, December 12, 2008. This project will be a significant part of your child’s Social Studies grade for the 2nd 9-week grading period.
Assignments #1, #2, and #3 are required (20 points each).
1. Research the following Tennesseans: Andrew Jackson, Sam Houston, James Polk, Sequoyah, Nancy Ward, David Crockett, John Donelson . Write a 2-3 paragraph biography for each person.
2. Create a timeline of 10 Tennessee events. Make sure that your timeline is in chronological (date) order.
3. Write friendly letters to 3 famous Tennesseans (from your Social Studies book). Introduce yourself to the famous Tennessean in the first paragraph. Tell them why you admire them in the second paragraph. Invite them to your home or school in the third paragraph.
Choose any 2 of the following: (20 points each)
4. Create a Tennessee Hero Matching Game. Use index cards to write the name of a famous Tennessean on one side and why that person is famous on the other side. Cut the index card in half. You can use the cards to play a Memory game or a Go Fish style game.
5. Create a campaign sign for a famous Tennessee politician (past or present). Research this person from news articles, web sites, and other sources. What are this person’s accomplishments, education level, and background? On one side of your sign, write the politician’s name and decorate On the other side, write at least 6 reasons why someone should vote for this person. Tape a ruler of paint stirring stick to the campaign sign.
6. Create a newspaper about Tennessee history. Each story should contain a headline (title), dateline (story’s location), and byline (the author’s name – you). Either draw pictures or find photos of the famous people. You can also illustrate cartoons and design ads to add to your paper. Browse a local newspaper for ideas.
7. Find the words to one of Tennessee’s official state songs (such as Rocky Top or Tennessee Waltz). What images do these words create in your mind? Is this a good state song? Why or why not?
8. Research 5 current celebrities who were either born in Tennessee or once lived in Tennessee and write a 1-2 paragraph biography for each person. Here are some suggestions, but you are welcome to choose someone else: Oprah Winfrey, Justin Timberlake, Usher, Reese Witherspoon, Peyton Manning, Miley Cyrus, Morgan Freeman, Kenny Chesney, Tina Turner.
9. Create a comic book that tells the story of a famous event in Tennessee History. Your comic book should be illustrated in color and consist of multiple panels with dialogue.