Reports to: President
Education: • Bachelor’s degree from a four-year accredited college or university in Marketing or related field required.
• Minimum of five-seven years experience in marketing, advertising, promotions and community relations in professional sports industry environment.
Skills Required: • Ability to think strategically and innovatively in formulating and executing ongoing marketing and advertising plans in highly competitive environment.
• Strong understanding of advertising, media planning/buying, market research, e-marketing strategies and television ratings.
• Strong knowledge of online marketing initiatives and data collection.
• Demonstrated successful experience in special event planning and execution, as well as event marketing and grassroots marketing strategies.
• Talented self-starter with an extremely creative mind and a passion for achieving excellence.
• Broad high-level verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
• Policy setting capabilities associated with the job’s purpose and essential responsibilities.
• Proven ability to effectively lead and direct staff in a competitive, high-energy environment and industry.
• Decision making ability on routine decisions including budget development and allocation, resource expenditure, staffing levels, and policies and procedures.
• Strong organizational and time management skills to manage multiple tasks with multiple priorities.
• Ability to maintain confidential and/or proprietary information.
• Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office software suite of products and proficiency in use of Internet for research purposes.
Basic Function: • Primary point person for traditional and non-traditional marketing initiatives.
• Overall responsibilities include all advertising, promotions, brand management, fan development, community development, social media, mascot, cheerleader and merchandise programs.
• Provide marketing and promotion support for Lone Star Sports and Entertainment events.
Job Function (duties and responsibilities): • Conduct and maintain extensive market research for the purpose of developing and execute the branding and marketing strategy for the Houston Texans.
• Develop and execute a comprehensive advertising campaign in keeping with market research [through the management of internal and external agencies]. Responsible for negotiating advertising trade deals, managing advertising placement, and working on creative conception and media planning.
• Develop creative, strategic marketing campaigns and media plans to drive ticket sales, engage fans and build the brand.
• Oversee the development and execution of all promotional plans.
• Oversee the activities of the cheerleader and mascot programs.
• Manage all aspects of the Team’s merchandising programs.
• Oversee all aspects of the Team’s fan development efforts (youth, Hispanic, women and regional).
• Support all online marketing initiatives including social media such as Twitter and Facebook.
• Oversee all aspects of the Community Development department including player appearances, foundation fund-raising and Strategic Community Partner program.
• Oversee and approve all graphic design requests for all Team collateral and communications to ensure consistent, world-class brand presentation for the Team.
• Actively build and maintain a high-quality staff of motivated and skilled team players who emphasize the mission, objectives and values of the Texans to create raving fans within and outside the organization.
• Establish and manage annual advertising, marketing and promotions budgets in a manner that efficiently deploys organization’s resources.
• Ensure departmental adherence to all Team and League policies and guidelines.
• Position requires routine face-to-face personal interaction with staff, senior level executives, players, coaches and ownership; therefore, job responsibilities must be physically performed in the team offices and not in a telecommuting manner.
Travel Requirements: Domestic travel associated with games, meetings and other team events.
Please note that while resumes of all candidates will be considered, as a way for the Texans organization to acknowledge and reciprocate the tremendous support given the Team by local fans and the local community in general, qualified candidates with permanent addresses in the Houston metropolitan and surrounding areas will be given first consideration whenever possible.
If your skills and experience match our available position requirements, a Human Resources representative will contact you directly. Due to the volume of resumes received by the Houston Texans, we are unable to provide updates on the status of individual applications.
The Houston Texans are an Equal Opportunity Employer.