Ways to Help Your Child in 6th Grade Math
- Have your child attempt the challenge for the week. Students may earn BONUS points in Math by completing the challenge each week or have them handwrite their math facts 0X0 to 12X12 three times each. (Maximum of 5 points per week= 45 points per 9 weeks!). This bonus is added onto their weekly requirements.
- Check your child’s grades regularly to keep informed of work and study habits that work or that may need to be corrected. You can do this online by going to the Sabine Parish School Board website: www.sabine.k12.la.us and clicking on the Student/Parent Progress Center link to the left-side of the home page. Accounts can be setup here. The PSN number is the last 5 digits of the child’s social security number. Please note that at the moment we are having internet difficulties at central office & ZES campus, but it will hopefully be fixed shortly. Please keep checking.
- Have your child attend class everyday unless it is necessary to miss. Each day is full of educational opportunities and if students miss, it is hard to get those opportunities back. If your child is absent, it might be helpful to watch the lesson they missed be taught. To view the lesson visit my website http://cbrandon.educatorpages.com and click on “Eureka Math Lessons” tab or log-in to Google Classroom and watch the video under Eureka Videos or weekly homework. Find the module and lesson you need. Remind your child to make-up assignments missed by due dates to avoid half-credit grades!
- Check your child’s “Peek of the Week” for math assignments & upcoming quizzes or test each week. These are posted every Friday for the upcoming week on Mrs. Brandon’s Website: http://cbrandon.educatorpages.com
- Have your child study for their math topic quiz( given at the end of each topic), Mid-Module Test, and End-of-Module Test by looking over the lessons/examples/exercises/homework helpers in their Eureka Math Book (Green Book) for that topic and exit tickets/problem sets/homework/reviews for that topic in Google classroom. Reviews will be assigned online before the test and due the day of the test. All test will be taken on computer Chromebook to mimic LEAP 2025 testing.
- Have your child work on their math facts 0X0 to 12X12. Students must be fluent in basic math facts by the 6th grade to be successful in their math endeavors. You can use old fashion flash cards, or you could have them practice on the internet by playing timed math fact games. A website I found that was challenging, but fun is: http://www.mathplayground.com/ASB_Index.html
- Need help with Eureka Math (including examples & videos of lessons)? Visit the following website: http://www.oakdale.k12.ca.us/ENY_Hmwk_Intro_Math OR the videos tab on my website or your child’s weekly challenge. You may also find the Math Newsletter and Parent Tips sheet given to your child for each topic helpful.
- Google Classroom- students use username, password, & classroom code to access assignments, view videos, check answers, and extra practice. Class codes can be found on my website: http://cbrandon.educatorpages.com
If you would like more information or need to contact me.
Thanks for ALL you do!
6th grade Math Teacher/ZES Teacher of the Year 2019
Thanks for ALL you do!
6th grade Math Teacher
Zwolle Elementary School