Government Resources

The student must learn about available adult service providers, how to identify eligibility requirements for adult services, and how to apply for those services. Here are some of the federal agencies that may be beneficial:

  • Office of Student Financial Assistance - Provides financial aid to individuals who want to attend college.
  • Social Security Administration. Provides Supplemental Security Insurance (SSI) payments to people who are aged, disabled, or blind and have limited income and resources, and to provide Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits to workers who are disabled when earnings are lost or reduced because of the workers’ disabilities.
  • Medicare. Provides health insurance for everyone over 65 years of age and for people with disabilities under the age of 65 who qualify.
  • Medical Assistance Program (Medicaid). Provides physical and related health care services to persons with low incomes.
  • U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Provides home improvement loans for qualifying persons who need to adapt their home because of a disability, and housing assistance payments to low income families, including those with disabilities.
  • Federal Office for Civil Rights (OCR). Provides legal assistance for individuals who feel their rights have been violated because of their disability.