Sociology / Creel
Week 3 Test: Research
Answer each of the following using your own words. Each response should be well developed and thought out. Provide a thorough answer that proves you are knowledgeable of the subject matter.
Select 10 of the following to answer.
Please remember to remain silent and do your own work.
1. Discuss the difference between mode, mean, median? Give an example of each.
2. Discuss the difference between variance and range?
3. Discuss the difference between objective and subjective? Give examples to prove your point.
4. Discuss the difference between reliability and validity? Give examples to prove your point.
5. Discuss the difference between direct and indirect (inverse) relationships. Give examples to prove your point.
6. In light of learning about ethics in sociology, explain the following statement: “Do the right thing because it is the right thing to do.” While this is an opinion based question, use sociological principles to support your thoughts.
7. Where do our opinions and beliefs come from? How are they formed? Give detailed explanations.
8. List and explain the steps of the Scientific Process.
9. Explain the Hawthorn Effect and give an example.
10. What is descriptive research? Give details and provide examples.
11. What is explanatory research? Give details and provide examples.
12. What is evaluative research? Give details and provide examples.
13. Why must those who conduct research (e.g., sociologists) and those who read about it (e.g., consumers) be conscious of and cautious about the research results and statistics they use and see?