Week 7: Cooley, Mead, Goffman
Answer each of the following in complete sentences.
- What makes us who we are? What exactly is the self?
- What is the difference between nature and nurture?
- Give an example of both nature and nurture.
- Discuss the findings of Harry Harlow with his primate studies. Give a well thought through answer with examples.
- What is sociobiology?
- How is sociobiology useful helping explain human behavior and habits?
- Explain Cooley’s “Looking Glass Self.” Be sure to state and explain the three phases of development that Cooley discussed.
- Using Cooley’s “Looking Glass Self,” explain how you perceive yourself and how others perceive you as well.
- Explain Mead’s theory of the “self.” Be sure to state and explain the three stages of development that Mead discussed.
- Define egocentric.
- In what ways are you egocentric? Why do you think you are egocentric? How can you overcome this?
- Explain Mead’s concept of “Generalized Other.” Define it and give an example.
- Explain Erving Goffman’s “Presentation of the Self.” What does it all mean? Give an example also.
- Using Goffman’s “Dramaturgical Approach,” how do you live out the “drama” of life every day? In what ways are you the actor / actress on the stage performing a role?
- List the four stages that Piaget theorized?
Have a great weekend!!!