Sociology Test 10
01 April 2011
COS 7: Social Stratification
1. Define: social stratification
2. Define: inequality
3. Define: social differentiation
4. Explain in a lengthy paragraph the progression and changes with between each of the following: hunting and gathering societies, simple horticultural societies, advanced horticultural societies, agrarian societies, and industrial societies. Explain specifically the changes in social differentiation.
5. Explain why the caste system is considered a closed system. How does the caste system work? Tell some details about the caste system. This is a discussion question… not a one sentence answer!!!
6. Explain why the class system is considered an open system. How does the class system work? Tell some details about the class system. This is a discussion question… not a one sentence answer!!!
7. The three sources of power in society are class, status, and party. Explain in a lengthy paragraph this means. Give examples also.
8. Define: life chances
9. What life chances do you have, based on your present socioeconomic status? Give three examples and discuss them.
10. Define: ideology
11. Give an example of an ideology
12. Explain what is meant by false consciousness
13. Explain what is meant by class consciousness
14. Define: upward mobility
15. Define: downward mobility
16. Define intragenerational mobility
17. Define intergenerational mobility
18. Is the distribution of wealth in the United States fair? Balanced? Equal? Explain your answer in a brief paragraph.
19. Is health care a social or political issue? Is it both or neither? Explain your answer in a brief paragraph.
20. Is the middle class splitting? Is it growing smaller or larger? Why? How? Where is the middle class going then? Explain your answer in a brief paragraph.