SCIENTIFIC METHOD REVIEW AND LAB REPORT
STATE THE PROBLEM: Will salt make water boil faster?
HYPOTHESIS: The more salt, the faster the water will boil.
Materials Needed: 4 Beakers, 1 graduated cylinder, water, salt, glass plates, thermometer, weight scale.
- Label beakers A, B, C, D
- Measure 50mL of water with a graduated cylinder
- Pour 50mL of water in each beaker
- Turn on hot place
- Place beaker A on the hot plate
- Measure 1gram of salt, and put in into beaker B
- Measure 2 grams of salt, and add it to beaker C
- Measure 3 grams of salt and add it to beaker D
1. What is the factor being tested?_______________
2. Why did you not put salt into beaker A?
3. When beaker A begins to boil measure the temperature with the thermometer. What is the temperature of beaker A:________
4. Repeat the same procedure for beaker B. What is the temperature of beaker B:________
5. Repeat the same procedure for beaker C. What is the temperature of beaker C:________
6. Repeat the same procedure for beaker D. What is the temperature of beaker D:________
7. Record your data:
8. State your conclusion?
9. Was the original hypothesis correct?
10. Do you think salt lowers freezing point of water? Explain
11. Why is salt put on icy roads after it snows?
12. What was the control in this experiment?
13. Why do we need a control?